Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Finish mower size for a 8n

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
520 pipefabricator
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much finish mower can a 8N tractor
operate through thick grass?

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

how thick is thick? i run a five footer on my 2N, and heavy grass will load it down noticeably. if Ns had a live PTO, i wouldn't worry about it, but since they don't, i wouldn't go bigger than what i've got now.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Five foot in most conditions. Six foot if not too heavy and reduced ground speed acceptable.

Dean

Farmall plowboy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run a 6 footer behind my 2n, gotta keep it short, for thick and high I wouldn't run more than a 5 footer.

8nben
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

8N's can do a 6 footer. I wouldn't go bigger.

520 pipefabricator
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, how about a flail mower then

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

5'

Dean

John in Mich
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used a Woods RM 600 (6 foot) finish mower for years behind my 8N and in 3rd gear. I did sometimes go to second gear if I let grass get too tall.
I ran a 5' Ford brush hog sometimes as low as 1st gear. Weeds might get 4-5 feet tall and very thick. In this circumstance, a regular cleaning of debris in the radiator is improtant.

Jim WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ran a 6-foot side discharge mower behind a 2N for over twenty years. I even considered a 7-foot rear-discharge at one point.

With my 6-footer, if the grass got really high (near a foot), I would take half a bite even when mowing in first gear. I usually kept up better than that but an occasional rainy period would get me behind. I hear that the rear discharge mowers handle high grass better.

If I was buying a mower for an N, I'd get a 6-foot rear discharge. I had good luck with my King Kutter. It held up well with just a few belt and spindle replacements.

allenlane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've tried w a 6' on my 2N and it's too much, another vote for 5

Tony in SD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

5 foot

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

6' is the way to go.
If the grass gets too high you can set the wheels so it will cut about 6" high.
So if you are out of town and miss a week cut it higher then let it dry for a couple of days, set it back down and mow again.
An N will run a 5' brush mower and a 6' finish mower well.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree with Dean. 5'
Flail mowers take horsepower.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run a 6' with no problems. If running one off the the 3pt I would suggest four wheels instead of 2 wheels and limiter chains and the use of sway bars.

SteveB(OH)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Finish mower size for a 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been running a 6 foot side discharge King Kutter to mow my 9 acres for 19 years without any problems.

I've got to believe that any N series that won't run a 6 foot finish mower has something seriously wrong. In thick grass I can slip the belt of my mower looong before the tractor runs out of power.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters