Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

445 carb question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich'sToys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: 445 carb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The main jet on the bottom of the carburetor on my 445 is so close to the starter that it actually hits it, making it nearly impossible to adjust it.
I am fairly new to the tractor, and I suspect that the starter is not original, but it doesn't appear any longer than a normal one.
Are all 445's like this? And if so, how do you deal with this?

rvirgil_KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 445 carb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my 4 Star is the same, but it has a screwdriver slot rather than the bend to adjust.

T.R.K.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 445 carb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think mine is like that. Really close. It looks like the bend in your has been 'straightened' a bit over the years, though.

It might break off if you try to bend it though.

I wonder if the replacement t-bar style needle would have more clearance.

Rich'sToys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 445 carb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I may have to check with my mechanic whether the other style is available. Right now I can only go a half turn in either direction before it hits the starter. It runs fairly well where it's at, but I'd like to be able to tweak it a little more. Don't want to force it and risk breaking something.

Alan K
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 445 carb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The starter does look like a different one as the 445s had a button style starter switch on the top
which was activated by a pull rod next to the ampli-torque lever. Has the intake / exhaust manifold
been replaced? I had the same problem with mine after I installed a new manifold when I came to put
a carb kit in it. My jet was bent a little so I just bent it a little more to make it work. It is a
working tractor. MM had funny things that way, like having to remove the carburetor on a 5 Star to
remove the starter lol.

Curt Cooke
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 445 carb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Alan K, not the original set-up but the original set-up is just as bad. Undertake to protect the starter from the gas dripping off that main jet. The gasoline leaks right on to the starter and eventually breaks down what little lubrication the starter has to begin with. Then you can have the starter rebuilt. Poor planning on someone's part for sure.

Rich'sToys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 445 carb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know the starter set up has been changed, but the manifolds APPEAR to be the original ones. I've had the tractor for less than a year so I can't say for sure. I might try bending that jet or see about getting a different style of one.
It seems to be a decent tractor otherwise, but I agree that some of the design features on it leave a little to be desired. The person who engineered some of those things must have been hung over that day or pi$$ed at somebody! Very Happy

Alan K
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 445 carb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is the replacement manifold I installed on mine. I believe on the original ones, the intake is
round not square. If you have a picture of the manifold we should be able to tell. I think there is
a small difference in the length on the new ones.

Rich'sToys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 445 carb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's what it has. The neck where the carb bolts on does appear to be a little longer than yours. I probably won't replace it as long as it's in decent condition. The tractor is mostly a toy and will not be doing a lot of work. I'll figure out a way around the carb issue.

Alan K
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 445 carb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is an original manifold. Be sure to check for cracks on each side of the two bolts that hold
the elbow on. Some exhaust manifolds had some strengthening ribs in them some didnt. They usually
crack in that area. I had a hole about the size of a 50 cent piece is why I replaced mine. The
original bottom seat cushion on these had springs in them. It makes for a more comfortable ride than
regular foam. If you arent going to do a lot with it foam will work fine. I bought the spring one
for mine off of ebay for about $68. It is the same style as used on John Deere models of the same
era. I plan on cutting hay with it and do a couple of other jobs with it.

MMDEL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: 445 carb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It dose look like the 90 degree end on the adjusting needle might be bent down a little. Other wise just take a die grinder and shave a tad off the starter where it hits.
MMDEL

Rich'sToys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 445 carb question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for that idea, Del! I'll have to look into that.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters