Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

problem installing hydraulic pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Crowell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: problem installing hydraulic pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I guess I am no Zane. I am trying to install my rebuilt hydraulic pump (I think the only thing wrong with it was that the inlet was clogged), and am having the same problem that Gene had in this thread:

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=822355

I don't want to remove the top cover, unless I have to.

I am going to try installing it again, with these changes since last time: 1. I've removed both of the inspection covers and the PTO lever. (Yesterday I was trying to install it with only the right cover removed.) 2. I'm going to grease up the front portions of the pump chamber castings and the PTO shifter housing. 3. Maybe I'll try reaching up through the inspection covers with both hands and try lifting it up and pulling it forward while it's supported on a jack. Working underneath and trying to lift it into position is no fun!

If I can't get it in, I'm gonna be back on here bugging you guys again. But if you have any suggestions in the meantime, I surely would appreciate them.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: problem installing hydraulic pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Suggestions in the link you posted just about covers it, including the front first,tilted, then forward and up.

Bill Crowell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: problem installing hydraulic pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The pump assembly won't go forward quite far enough; it needs to go forward maybe another 1/8" to 1/4". I can barely thread in the left front bolt, but then the pump sits cockeyed and the other side won't move forward. It definitely seems to be hanging up on something, but I'm not sure what. Maybe my pump chamber gaskets are too thin, as Zane suggested? Or something on the pump is hitting the PTO shifter housing? I thought maybe I assembled the scotch yokes incorrectly, but I followed the I&T manual and the pistons move freely in and out of the pump chambers.

I need more suggestions! Can anybody think of anything I might have done wrong that would cause this? Thank you very much.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: problem installing hydraulic pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bill Crowell wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:12:14 04/20/19) The pump assembly won't go forward quite far enough; it needs to go forward maybe another 1/8" to 1/4". I can barely thread in the left front bolt, but then the pump sits cockeyed and the other side won't move forward. It definitely seems to be hanging up on something, but I'm not sure what. Maybe my pump chamber gaskets are too thin, as Zane suggested? Or something on the pump is hitting the PTO shifter housing? I thought maybe I assembled the scotch yokes incorrectly, but I followed the I&T manual and the pistons move freely in and out of the pump chambers.

I need more suggestions! Can anybody think of anything I might have done wrong that would cause this? Thank you very much.
Control arm coming down from top cover?

Bill Crowell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: problem installing hydraulic pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm being careful to get the control arm into the control valve rocker shaft, where it is supposed to be, before lifting the pump into position.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: problem installing hydraulic pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bill Crowell wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:29:53 04/20/19) I'm being careful to get the control arm into the control valve rocker shaft, where it is supposed to be, before lifting the pump into position.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: problem installing hydraulic pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's whats got'em BTDT... My normal routine install the lift cover them the pump, where I make it EZ jack the back of the tractor up are back it on car ramps... I can then get under the tractor no jack needed to assist me...

His gaskets are to damm thin Sad....

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=346622&highlight=ramps

Copy and paste from another post...

When I remove a pump I either jack the tractor up and put it on stands or the way I like to do it izz drive the rear wheels up on car ramps, block the wheels then roll under it and remove the pump no jack needed. You will git a little fluid on ya. When you raise the tractor up that gives you the leverage needed to handle the pump. If you do not jack it up then it s a fight cuzz you kin not git in the rite position to handle the pump. I usually install the top cover and then install the pump, front of the pump goes up and in over the ears of the PTO support and then the rear of the pump goes up add a bolt or 2 at the front of the pump and use one hand to guide the position lever in and push up on the rear and install a bolt in the rear. I have also got good at install in the lift cover by myself and it does not really make much difference how I install the parts cept its E-Zee er on my back to install the lift cover first then the pump "8N ONLY"

Bill Crowell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: problem installing hydraulic pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made sure I had the pistons and cam assembled the way Rachel Gingell said to, but still no joy. I think I will remove the top cover so I can see where the pump is hanging up, and then I should be able to correct the problem.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: problem installing hydraulic pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whut part of the description that the pump chambers fit over the ears of the PTO support izz'zit you don't understand...

I am gonna tell ya where Zane herd about grinding the ears of the PTO support I told him... That was before I started buying my chamber gaskets from CNH... I keep a set from CNH so I can check again aftermarket gaskets... Its rare but sometimes the aftermarket gets it WRONG>>>

Have fun...

Bill Crowell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: problem installing hydraulic pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ha, ha, Hobo, I do understand about the ears on the front of the valve chambers, but I can't tell if that's where it is hanging up. I guess I will have to remove the top cover in order to see what it is doing. Maybe it will build character!

Bill Crowell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: problem installing hydraulic pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made two mistakes, which were apparent once the top cover was removed. I had the valve chambers reversed, with the thick flange facing forward rather than rearward, as it is supposed to be. The thick flange on the right hand side hit the hydraulic pressure passage running up the right side of the reservoir. That's why the pump wouldn't slide all the way forward.

I had also assembled the scotch yoke incorrectly, so I couldn't insert the PTO shaft. Apparently the flanges on the cam blocks have to be placed between the pistons, facing each other.

The problem is that by the time I ever have to do this job again, I will have forgotten how!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters