Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218*

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I decide to finish the fenders this morning. I tried the painting mask and as many before me have said, it doesn't fit. Don't waste your money! So I decided to mask it with 3M fine line tape (I didn't trust myself to free hand it). You'll see the results in the pictures. There's a few minor boogers I need to scrape off once it's 100% dry but overall I'm happy with how it turned out.

Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Then I started working on the problem child of a hood. The bolt spacing on the rear where it mates with the dash was 1 inch too narrow. How do you make something and ship it that's an inch off the number. So I fixed that . It was relatively easy to fix. Cut it apart, get the right spacing and weld it back together.
The pictures will tell the story on how the grill fits in the doglegs far better then I can. This is gonna take a while Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are a better man than me someone would get that hood stuck up their arse...

Paint the scrip many ways to do it,,, My way...

Would like to fill you in on the details I have posted them in the past I can not locate it now and my brush is so old I have wore the numbers off it.

I use to be into model building when you could get good brushes and paint to work with but those places are history now local anyways.

The brush is the ticket plus using a thinner. I use a cap off a rattle can of paint, I put the paint in the center compartment and a little thinner in the outside compartment. You will have to play with dipping the brush in the thinner and then into the paint to find the combination that will flow the paint and the paint not dry out while you are pulling the line.

With a good brush and mix of the paint you can pull paint anywhere you want it with one dip of the brush in the paint. You will be pulling paint not brushing it on its magic...

Yours looks great "if I had a feather up my arse we both would be tickled to death" Smile....

I don't know what the the issue is with the nose of your hood all I have had were bent in... I bolt the hood on with out the grill pull the tractor up to a pole and use some flat-bar hooks I have made to pull it back out with a come-along...

Has anyone else brought a replacement hood and had his issues ????

Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fenders are on Smile

lastcowboy32
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking so damn purdy.

I don't have the time for paint, my old 2N is mechanically sound, though.

I look at posts like this to appreciate what they must have looked like back when they were new, and I try to imagine the excitement and anticipation of a farm family back in the 50's getting a brand-spankin' new tractor delivered to their place.

Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lastcowboy32 wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:06:31 04/17/19)
Looking so damn purdy.

I don't have the time for paint, my old 2N is mechanically sound, though.

I look at posts like this to appreciate what they must have looked like back when they were new, and I try to imagine the excitement and anticipation of a farm family back in the 50's getting a brand-spankin' new tractor delivered to their place.

Thank You!

There's nothing wrong with tractor that doesn't look new. It should be about how it runs anyways and how well it does it's job.

It's a personal thing with me. I have issues with my stuff not being "perfect". Not that this is perfect and I think I missed the real gray color by quite a bit but it looks good with the color I have on it and it's certainly shiny Smile

Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I went to test fit the gas tank and not to my surprise it would fit. A BFH and it fits now. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I worked on how the grill/doglegs fit today. I THINK? I made a bit of progress and have a path forward. We'll see how the next few days go. I'm back to using the original doglegs. I stuck them on there and tried them and I think they fit better than the Taiwan repops so I'll deal with the issues they have and just write off the Taiwan ones.

Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I finally got the hood to a point where I think I can make it work with normal bodywork. So I decided to graft the logo in. The secret here is not to get too much heat in one spot all at once. Otherwise the metal will warp and then you get to fight that problem.

And after just the epoxy primer it came out pretty good. Real primer and filler tomorrow.

Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I have a question on the doglegs. I have a set that has two stampings for the headlights?

I assume the smaller hole doesn't belong there??

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Google 8N headlight wings

The second hole is used as a dowel pin hole...

Google 8N Headlight Bracket (Round), They are the other style used... I don't know the history those wings do look cool

Wink

Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:58:56 04/20/19)
Google 8N headlight wings

The second hole is used as a dowel pin hole...

Google 8N Headlight Bracket (Round), They are the other style used... I don't know the history those wings do look cool

Wink

I also thought the wings looked sharp but was unaware that some 8N's came with them. Guess I'll go order myself a set and go drill the holes out that I just welded up Sad

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

History on the wings google 8n headlight wings.

wpmiller9887
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Lance-W"](quoted from post at 18:53:11 04/19/19) Very nice job! It's really awesome watching you restore step-by-step. I do have a question, when you first posted the photo of your newly acquired tractor, it already had the Ford raised logos on the hood, what happened? Did you get a new hood and then fused the logos on it? I'd like to discuss more with you as we both are on the west coast, could you please email me at YLmillerYL@aol.com?

Lance-W
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wpmiller9887 wrote:
Very nice job! It's really awesome watching you restore step-by-step. I do have a question, when you first posted the photo of your newly acquired tractor, it already had the Ford raised logos on the hood, what happened? Did you get a new hood and then fused the logos on it? I'd like to discuss more with you as we both are on the west coast, could you please email me at ____?

Yes if you look back a page or two the original hood was a bondo/filler nightmare with a lot of rust out down around the edge which I guess is a very common spot. I bought a RePop hood. The RePop hoods do not come with the logo so my only choice was too slice it out of what I assume a factory hood and graft it into the RePop one.

Email sent

wpmiller9887
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: My first 8N 1951 SN# *8N356218* Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got it, was a bit behind lately, thanks.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters