Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Piston slap

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anola
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull the head off on my lx865 3 cylinder diesel there is no score marks on the sleeves and not much of a ridge on the top of the sleeve but I have a lot of piston slap I actually think the piston is touching the sleeve when I move it from side to side as I here a noise as it were hitting smokeing and using a lot of oil is this piston slap normal or my rings wore that bad. Thanks any comments would greatly appreciate. Mike

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rings do not cause piston slap, it is caused by excess clearance on the skirts.

shinnery
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a process called "knerling" that some machine shops used to do to piston skirts to help them fit the cylinder bores. It will quiten the noise.

Anola
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-David G"](reply to post at 19:19:22 04/21/19) [/quoteThank you for that information so I guess I would be looking at new pistons and rings would I be able to get by without changing the sleeves

Anola
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also would this cause the engine to use oil as that s why I pulled it apart.

Jim.ME
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You say you have smoke, oil burning and piston slap. Your rings are likely worn out and allowing oil past them, along with piston and sleeve wear. The pistons' ring grooves and lands are likely worn as well. Its not a look and guess to say if they are fit to reuse to do it right. You are dealing with thousands of an inch differences between in spec and not. You need to measure the pistons and sleeves, with the proper instruments, to see where they are compared to the specs and then decide what needs to be rebuilt/replaced that way. If the sleeves measure within specs, and the pistons are close have them knurled to fit the sleeves and replace the rings. Otherwise replace the sleeves, pistons, and rings and be done with it. The head should be checked and reworked as well, the valve guides may be worn and allowing excess oil past them. JMHO.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have knurled pistons to reduce slap, would only do it if new parts were not available.

When a piston gets loose in the cylinder, it rocks back and forth. This rocking causes the rings to be unsquare in the cylinders and causes ring and groove wear. Rings are meant to be square in the cylinder with square edges to seal. Being unsquare also causes the end gap to increase, thus making sealing more of a problem.

Bottom line, I would replace pistons, rings and sleeves.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As stated, the grooves must be square and tight also. The grooves tend to get tapered out on the outside, due to the twisting torque on the rings. The top groove usually wears the worst, and it is fairly easy to cut it square and install a spacer.

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anola....Do you own a service manual.....lx865 3 cylinder diesel????

Service manuals are inexpensive compared to $$$$$$$ mistakes:

I've been there done that (BTDT)

Bob.....Good luck Anola......

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you do not measure the I/D of the cylinder bores you may be wasting your money:

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a while since I seen one,piston noise is usually caused by the ridge on the top when the top ring touches it,if the engine is using oil and smoking then that speaks for itself,the engine is worn,what hours has it done or has it ever run low in oil,for the piston shirt to be touching the side it would not last long till it picked up and seized,I seem to think the engine did not have sleeves and had to be re-bored when worn,they done oversize pistons for it.
AJ

Anola
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all for this great information will be pulling out pistons today I don t mind replacing rings and pistons but I afraid the sleeves might be dry sleeves and they will be hard to remove what s the best way to get those suckers out. Thanks Mike

Jim.ME
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As John Deere D (Bob) posted. Do you have a manual(s) for your machine and engine? If not, get one you are going to need it. You are going to need the specification info in it to do this right. Yes they cost money but it can be a lot less than the cost of a mistake. Do you have the tools to measure the wear and determine what is worn and how things compare to specs? The manual may give you the tooling info on pulling and installing the sleeves.

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am fairly sure that it does not have sleeves,however they did what we call in the trade call a service sleeve which is a sleeve that could be put in should the block be damaged beyond the oversize piston,to fit the service sleeve the block would have to be bored out to take it,your best bet now is clean off the carbon around the top and remove the pistons,have a mechanic have a look at for you as he will know from experience what the best to do.
AJ

Anola
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston slap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull the pistons found out no sleeves pistons skirts are hitting the cylinder wall what is worn out to cause this has I don t think anything should make contact except the rings

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters