Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Cat 931C information

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerryemorse
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Cat 931C information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just got a CAT 931C and waiting on the books for it. Can someone let me know if it is a wet or dry clutch. And any information on the steering. It has the lower pedal type. I adjusted the breaks and it will stop on a dime but will not turn. Here is the serial number and model number. It is a track loader. Would like to know the year also. Thanks in advance.
Cat 931
78U4021 model
45V18294 serial

MSM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cat 931C information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did it steer before you adjusted the
brakes? You may have the brakes too
tight, not letting the linkage move
far enough to release the steering
clutches

Jerryemorse
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cat 931C information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It would not steer before adjusting the brakes. All three pedals would bottom out. I tightened them then turned them 3 1/2 turns.

Nordic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cat 931C information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It appears that there is no 45V series in serial numbers of the machine itself which brings us to 78U4021 which would make it a '78 931 but not a 931C. I have had several 78U
machines myself and they are dry clutches (unfortunately). If it won't steer either direction there may be a common denominator to the problem. Either the clutches are seized
stuck which can happen if the machine has been unused for a longer time (happens with dry clutches) or there may not be enough pressure to release the steering clutches. the
release cylinders are supplied from transmission oil pressure and if that doesn't reach 220 lbs they will not release. If only one side steers it could likely be an issue in a control
valve attached to the pedals under the floor plates.

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cat 931C information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The steering clutches must be adjusted before the brake,let the brakes off and adjust the clutches,before adjusting the brakes up test that the clutches are disengaging by starting the engine,hold the pedals down and put it in drive,it should not move,then adjust the brakes,the brakes must not be too tight because if they are the linkage cannot disengage the clutches,if with the adjustment correct and still no turn it looks like the clutches are stuck,sometime working the machines frees them out,others,try shock treatment driving into a tree stump with the clutches disengaged,or similar.
AJ

Nordic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cat 931C information Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my first reply i didn't pay enough attention to the brake adjustment specifics that you mention. After you did your adjustment how much pedal travel did you have before the
pedal stops? You should have about three inches. It's a long time ago since I was onto this and I haven't found my manual (since moving) but your 3.5 turns may be too much, it
seems to me 1.5 turns or 9 clicks as the manual states, if I remember right. The nine clicks refer to the hexagonal adjuster shaft clicking on the high points but sometimes you
can't hear or feel the clicks and therefore keeping track of turns becomes important.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters