Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

SKID STEER

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: SKID STEER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know if this is the right forum but I have been looking at skid steers. I don't know a thing about them. Has anyone had any experience with using one of these? I don't know what brand to get, what to look for, what to stay away from. Some attachments specify a certain hydraulic flow rate. Will all of the attachments fit one brand or another, or if you buy a CAT is only cat attachments going to work on their machine? Hydraulic augers, forks, grapple's. Tracks would be good in wet ground, what do you check for on a track machine. I have a CASE 450 crawler so I have some idea what to look for but not sure. How hard are these things to work on, etc, etc. Any help is good.

MSM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: SKID STEER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have never been on one,rent one for the weekend and see if it will do what you want to do.
Any later model will have a universal "Bobcat" type quick attach which will work on Deere, Bobcat, Case or New Holland. The HI Flow hydraulics are for mowers,milling machines,and really aren't needed for around the farm work.Standard flow will work fine for a post hole digger,tiller,power landscape rake etc.
I heavy mud,rubber tracks don't do well,nor do they do well in stoney ground,or stumps as these will puncture or tear the track$$$$.You are better off with a tire machine and purchase a set of over the tire tracks which can be put on when needed.Once you get used to it they are handier than a swiss army knife if you accept it's limitations..it isn't a bulldozer but will do a good days work. Servicability is an issue,they pack the pumps,motors,valving, wiring harnesses,sensors and lines down under your feet which usually requires removal of the floor pans/seat and possibly the stump pans to get to a blown line or leaky fitting, even routine maintenance can be an ordeal getting to the filters. Try to find a 4-5 year old low hour machine, the new ones are a nightmare with the emmissions,sensors,wiring problems and usually require a dealer tech to hook up a laptop to it to find problems.We have 10 of them at work(Caterpillars/Bobcats)) and get them on a 2 year/2000 hr lease and trade them in on a new machine rather than deal with the downtime and expensive repairs

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: SKID STEER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great info below,, I own a number of Case crawlers including a 450, there is no skid steer made that can do everything a 450 will do but Case is working on changing that,, that said a skid steer is good at a lot of jobs for sure, a rubber tracked one is not much like a 450 is,, ice and snow they are far less effective than in mud,, in either of those conditions I would chose the 450 but a skid steer is something we sold to people who also bought new 450's from us, both have advantages,, if I was going to buy a skid steer today I would go with a tired machine and add tracks when I needed them, best of both worlds to me, that said the hopefully soon to be released Case Metal tracked skid steer I would look at closely as it has the same tracks as say a 450 with street pads would have like the pic of my 350 with loader seen here, like said below get them to let you demo each style you look at and see what you like and do not like,, be forewarned skids ride ROUGH compared to a crawler and will tear up ground even worse than a dozer can

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: SKID STEER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Phil it all depends on what you are going to use it for. skid steers are not hard to work on but can be very expensive. case parts are hi for sure but there is more after market parts available. motors per say aren't really a problem due to parts. just everything else. a track machine is very hard on grass. they are rough riding. on a good hard surface there great. case 1845C are good powerful machines. trick is to find one that is a good machine. hard to do. the mustangs are a good machines as well as bobcats. there again finding a good one is hard to do. as long as you have the auxiliary hydraulics you can hook most things up to what ever you buy. of course if you buy a case and use only there attachments it would work better. once in awhile you will run across a low hour machine that some one just has no longer use for it. buy it. if you buy from a dealer you might get some sort of a warranty. Do your home work. go on to the net and search for different machines. check on parts for a machine you think you might buy. older it is harder parts are for it. good luck in your quest to find a good one.

Phil H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: SKID STEER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed back, everything you said will help. THANKS!

Phil H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: SKID STEER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everyone has given me some real good info. I think the wheel type with removable tracks would be the best. Great idea. Just need to spend some serious time looking. THANKS!

Phil H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: SKID STEER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's great to get info. from someone who has been there and done it. I think you are right, better to rent one and get a feel for what to look for. I have heard that the new tractors with the computer controls are a night mare for someone who does their own repairs, so it is good to know the newer skid steers are in the same category. I like to keep things SIMPLE STUPID, but that doesn't seem to be the way things are going today. Thanks for your great help.

MSS3020
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: SKID STEER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

phil, ill throw my two cents in..

I bought a case 1840 13 years ago.. same as you .. wanted one but had no experience.. I bought mine off ebay sight unseen but the guy I bought from said if I came up and it wasnt what I wanted then didnt have to buy..

I love this machine.. it has done everthing Ive asked... THE ONLY THING I CAN RECOMMEND is make sure it has aux hyd ports to run accessories mine does not but two nice of machine to trade out..

Phil H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: SKID STEER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will look for the hyd. ports, and hope I can find a good machine. I think I will try to rent one first, unless I find one in really good shape, for a good price, because they are definitely expensive! Every one has given me some real good advice and tips, I am glad for the help. Thanks...

Lazy WP
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: SKID STEER Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had an ASV 70. Rubber tracks suspension and door that slid up. In sand it was amazing. I could push more with it then I could my D4-7U, but in wet ground it was pretty worthless. Once you get the hang of it, I could use it for lawn work, without tearing up the lawn. Just takes time to figure it out. In harder ground I would go with a tired machine and add grousers if you need them, you loose the suspension with tires. I think ASV and Terrex are the only ones with suspension.
I hate the older Bobcats with both hand and foot control. Mine was totally joysticks. If you go with an enclosed cab, remember that if the door swings, the loader arms have to be either all the way up or all the way down.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters