Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IH 440 baler

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone ever owned an IH 440 small square baler? This is the one and only I've ever seen for sale, so I am wondering if it would be hard to find parts for it. Seems rare for around here at least. Anyone know anything about this model?

JOCCO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes me, very good baler There were 430 435 445 and a host of others. Looks like just not popular in your area.

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jocco, ok, thanks! I've been browsing balers for sale since last year and didn't find just the right one. This one looks so nice and matches my tractor!!!!!! Very important to match, you know Very Happy

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a 440 all twine I?ve only ran it one year but it?s
been good . Parts are expensive I need a hay dog
for the bale chamber 75$

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SVcummins, oh ok. With the costs for parts then, sounds like it'd be nice to have another junk one just to take parts off of. Sure looks like a nice baler. This one is 3 1/2 hours from me, so need to consider that, too.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a Case/IH square and as I recall it was a 4 something, may have had the 404 nomenclature. Was used but in perfect operating shape, little wear.
Problem I had was that the pickup tines weren't durable enough and regardless of how I adjusted them, I'd loose about 1 per acre baled. I had JD square
balers and seldom did I break a tine.

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a 430 IHC. I think it has good
capacity, a 440 surely is more. Ours is
wire tie. Never misses a bale if the
splice is small enough to make it through
the needles. Took all the wedges out and
will still make a 80 lb. Bale. We just
want 50 lb.bales. when we got it, could
just bale in low and 2nd. The cam and
bearings were worn out on the pickup.
Repaired this and now can bale in 3rd and
4th. Which is 4.5 mph.

JOCCO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure what your baling or how much but any of the IH EXCEPT 45 ARE OK (FOR THE MOST PART) THE DEERE 24 214 224 AND 300 SERIES ARE GOOD TOO.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found a junk one I?m going to try and buy for parts .
Parts are expensive for anything anymore it seems
like . I?ve ran straw windrows out of a combine with
a 36 foot header so I think they have plenty of
capacity

Paul swpa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've run one since mid 80's. If it has problems, will more than likely be the inside Knotter, I don't know why but that is the one that always gives us the most problems. Switched to plastic twine couple years ago and many issues went away. The few issues that remained where fixed with a needle adjustment, bailed real good after that. Didn't get as much run through it last year due to the rain thou.
I like the knotter being all shaft drive - no chain to mess with for timing. Paul

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine were 24 and 214 twine.

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks all. Good info. Now I'm concerned with the bale size this one produces. Are you saying they are huge bales? I don't want really big bales. Can you adjust bale size on any baler? How about tightness of packing? I've bought some tight heavy bales and also have had some fall apart loose fluffy bales. I never thought that a square baler could be a wire tied one because I've never seen wire on a bale. Are there a lot of balers out there that use only wire? Most common balers for sale around here are JD 14 and 24T, and various New Holland models.

RedRoundhead
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 430.

Good machines, better if they have the All-twine knotters.

Pretty basic machine.

If you get it - get an operators manual for it.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All square balers can be adjusted for bale length. What you cannot adjust is size of bale chamber and some balers are 14x16" while some are 16x18" and some larger and one model of New Holland had I think a 12"x?' chamber. So a bigger bale chamber on short length pack as many pounds in as a smaller bale chamber in a longer length. I myself would not want a bale chamber of over the 14" x 16" size as even set short 30" they were too heavy for me to handle 40 years ago. Now if you are a body builder weight lifter type of person then the big bale chamber would be OK.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 440 baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can make bales as light as 50 pounds and as
heavy as 75 with my 440 could probably go lighter if
I shortened them up a hair

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters