Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tried out my mini sand blaster...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lastcowboy32
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Tried out my mini sand blaster... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FIRST OF ALL, Thank you to "unc" for suggesting this idea on my previous post.

I had previously posted about air requirements for sand blasting, and a small blaster was recommended. It's handheld and has a media hopper right on the gun.

This picture shows what I could get done with two charges of air in my 24 gallon compressor that stores at 135 PSI and the output regulator set to 90PSI.

I'm happy, because this is exactly what I needed: the ability to get into crevices. As a matter of fact, it cleaned this fender crevice and exposed a crack at the root that I'm going to weld. When I welded, the blaster was just as good at getting back into the crevice for slag cleanup before priming/painting. PS...it's a good thing I was wearing protective gear, because blasting after welding equals HOT SAND flying all over...

PPS, my estimates of run time vs air recharge time using the ideal gas law (PV =nRT) were just about right on the money.

With my system (24 gallons, 135PSI, regulated output at 90PSI and 4.0SCFM pump) I got about 15 seconds of blasting with a 30-45 second run time to recharge.

The blaster is a Neiko 30068A, $35.99 on Amazon.

This is not an ad, just an evaluation.

unc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tried out my mini sand blaster... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks good. That's a nice finish. unc

lastcowboy32
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tried out my mini sand blaster... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was initial cleaning.

After cleaning, welding the crack...adding a reinforcing rib made from a piece of lawnmower blade, then blasting all the welds (and all the other crevices on the fender) with the handheld blaster (which took about ten blast/ recharge cycles)...

We wire-wheeled the rest of the fender enough to get the loose paint and rust bubbles.

This was all that I wanted to do, get a surface ready good enough for some rust oleum and krylon.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tried out my mini sand blaster... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lastcowboy,
Just to make you jealous. Wink...
I live right by a small high tech
foundry and have gotten to know the
owner real well. The place runs two
shifts and a skeleton crew on Saturdays.
They have two sand blast cabinets -
hooked up to a 75 hp screw type air
compressor.
So I go over there and blast my parts on
occasion - evenings and Saturdays.
The cabinets are large enough to put
your fender in and turn it over/around
pretty easily.
Here are a few parts off a Ford I'm
quasi restoring that I sand blasted
lately.
To say I'm grateful to get to use them
is an understatement.

lastcowboy32
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tried out my mini sand blaster... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ultradog,

The word envious is not strong enough.

Coincidentally, my wife's uncle runs a professional polishing shop. I worked there for about six months when I was between engineering jobs.

She suggested that I see about getting some time in his blast cabinets. He would probably let me, but it's a half hour away...

But man... if it was next door?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters