Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

550 sway bars bent?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPERT
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: 550 sway bars bent? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I removed the front axle sway bars from my 1964 550 140986 (The bars connected to the fixed axle with a pin and mounted about midway back to the machine frame) and there was considerable tension on both bars pushing them downward about four inches after release from the ball end. The pinned end was still pinned. My thoughts are I should be able to just swing these bars into the socket without use of jacks or whatever is needed to reinstall. This is with the front wheels on the ground. Anyone have any thoughts on this or is it a non problem?

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 550 sway bars bent? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the pivot pin in the axle broken or worn real bad? Do they swing right up if you jack up the whole front end from the center of the frame?

SPMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 sway bars bent? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a right & a left hand--Do you have them on the right sides?

MikeS55d
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 sway bars bent? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with rrlund. My S55 has a well worn front axle pivot pin that allows the axle to rock (rotate) forward and backwards when the load is taken off of the axle. When the pin and bore in the axle was new the struts would have pretty much self aligned with the sockets. Jack up the front of the tractor under the frame and see if the axle is lose on the pivot pin by lifting and lowering the strut at the ball end. BTW I gave up trying to get my pivot pin out and just live with the slop.

JPERT
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 550 sway bars bent? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The pins are not broken

JPERT
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 550 sway bars bent? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried swapping side to side but did not help

JPERT
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 550 sway bars bent? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the front pivot pin is tight and the axle pins are tight, should the ball end swing directly into the socket?

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 sway bars bent? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should go together easily if nothing is worn. Have you jacked the front end up taking all weight off the front axle yet?

Donovan from Wisconsin

JPERT
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 550 sway bars bent? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

actually I discovered this while removing the front frame so I could replace the front seal. So yes, I did have the front end raised. If all the pin bores are on the same plane or 90 degrees to that plane then the arms should swing right into the sockets. I will let you know what happens when I reassemble.

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 sway bars bent? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bore i gee axle is something like 3 or 4 degrees off com square with the axle. I repaired one once by boring out the axle then sleeving it. Was worn through the bushing and into the axle itself a good amount.

Donovan from Wisconsin

JPERT
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 sway bars bent? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now that the front is back on, I see the center axle pivot pin is worn enough to make it difficult to reinstall the bars. Lifting the front a bit allows the bars to rotate in place. Thank you all...

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters