Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Power inverters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've owned RV's for 49 years and in later years owned a bunch of different size n shape and brands of Inverters and based on my experience I will say this:

While they cost more, if you end up buying an Inverter I highly recommend you purchase a PURE SINE WAVE (PSW). Sure some equipment works with a cheaper MODIFIED SINE WAVE (MSW) but I have seen equipment problems when using them HOWEVER I've never seen equipment problems due to the use of a proper Pure Sine Wave PSW Inverter. All that's left is see how many actual watts the pump requires so you can easily size the Inverter ALLOWING FOR THE FACT START UP REQUIRES MORE AMPS THEN RUNNING AMPS. That's where an Inverters SURGE rating can come into play but beware that can be a bunch of HYPERBOLE lol NOTE that's NOT to say a good MSW cant still "work", your money your choice not ours

A few among several brands you might take a look at are Magnum and Victron and Xantrex

HOWEVER its more efficient and no Inverter required if you go with a 12 volt DC powered pump if available.

Post back any Inverter or Battery type questions

Hope this helps

John T

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks John

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leroy I bought a little 100 watt at Christmas time cheap one time it would charge my phone but wouldn?t run anything else

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AS I recall, the people at Xantrex had one of the first consumer-grade portable inverters - back when they called the company "Trace." Heart and Trace/Xantrex supposedly got their start making inverters for small boats - and for marijuana farmers living off grid and hiding out in desert areas of the southwest. Believe it or not, Mr. Heart wrote a small book on the history of such inverters. I found it kind of interesting. Most of the companies that sold them in the USA were started by disgruntled employees who set off on their own. Like Outback. Now - seems things have changed since the market is flooded with stuff from Asia.

Xantrax (Trace) got bought out and is now a Canadian company. Still, they are still making good equipment. Very few consumer-grade inverters sold as "sine-wave" make a true sine-wave, but some come surprisingly close.

I have been using inverters since the 50s models that ran on vacuum tubes and a 150 watt inverter was the size of a suit-case. Things have really changed. I will also note that there are some very cheap so-called "sine-wave" inverters being direct-marketed from China and show a really nice sine-wave on my scope.

Norcold AC/DC refrigerators in the 80s used AC compressors with small, hard-wired mod-wave inverters built in. They did, and some still do - work very well. Not much step-up windings needed though. As I recall the AC compressor runs on 40 volts, so the inverter only has to have windings to step up 12 volts to 40 volts.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've owned Xantrex products that were okay but owned a Xantrex Charger that crapped out after only a few months grrrrrrrrrrr

I like Magnum and Victron and Xantrex Inverters but there are also other good brands out there

John T

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're most welcome

John T

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like I said, most of these companies were started by ticked off ex-employees of other inverter companies. Magnum was started by people who had formerly worked for Trace/Xantrex. Same goes for Outback.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great history lesson, thanks. Regardless who started them or who works or did work for whomever, I still like Victron and Magnum and Xantrex. To each their own preferences and I'm sure different users can report different experiences. And there are other vendors also but I have less knowledge concerning many of the others.

Nice chatting with you

John T

GEO-TH, In
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A generator can be a temporary power back up. Portable power where an extension cord can reach. I have mine mounted in a lawn cart. My second generator is easily put in truck.

A generator is more practical than an inverter.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a big generator welder I guess I could throw
it on the truck and power the fuel pump with that
then I?d have fuel and a welder / power in one spot
wouldn?t be a bad idea

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remember gasoline is highly flammable. Just don't setup the inverter too close to the gas pump, and put a long cord on the pump. Also seal the cord where it enters the pump.

Dusty

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remember gasoline is highly flammable. Just don't setup the inverter too close to the gas pump, and put a long cord on the pump. Also seal the cord where it enters the pump.

Dusty

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I plan on using a long cord this is diesel I?ll be
pumping so it?s not nearly as flammable as gas I?ve
used the pump at home on the diesel tank for years
I?m just wanting to make it mobile

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you get it with 12 volts DC?

An inverter is not cheap, and a lot to fart around with.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Power inverters Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Harbor freight has a 2000 watt
Untitled URL Link

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters