Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Massey Ferguson 150 dies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kscessnadriver
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Massey Ferguson 150 dies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I've got a MF150, diesel, that I've recently developed an issue with. It will run fine for say 30 minutes or more (while I'm out mowing with it), then it will start to have some RPM fluctuations (+/- 250 or so RPM). Shortly after that, it will finally just die, as if its lacking fuel. Based on what I've researched so far, the common culprits could be either; 1)clogged fuel lines/blockage, 2)fuel filter issue, 3) lift pump issues. After it dies, I'm able to let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then crank it for 30 seconds or so and it will fire back up and run for a while longer.

So in the meantime, I've drained the fuel filter by using the drain plug on the bottom of it, allowed it to refill and bled the system. I'm inclined to believe it's not an issue with air getting in the system, as every time I've bled the system, it's not taken hardly any time at all to get fuel out of every spot. I do notice that when I use the lift pump manually, I don't get fuel to push out. That leads me to believe it's time to replace the lift pump.

Is there any chance that the tractor would run like it does with a bad lift pump? Or am I chasing the wrong issue.

Phil Tibbetts
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 150 dies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First thing I would suspect is the coil. See if it is hot when it dies.

MikeinKy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 150 dies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the only diesel I have had with a coil is an 820 John Deere. I would look for a fuel blockage somewhere.

Bob N.Y.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 150 dies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you changed the fuel filters? Do that before replacing the lift pump.

Phil Tibbetts
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 150 dies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry I missed the diesel part, another senior moment.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 150 dies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, it can be a bad feed pump. A GOOD pump will
shoot fuel out the TOP cover bleed screw with engine
running. You may also have the constant bleed orifice
plugged on filter base top return line. Call me at 574 835
3292 if you like with any questions.

kscessnadriver
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 150 dies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas, I ll work on some of them when I get a chance, I ll be out of town for the next few days. I ll report back when I get a chance. I replaced the lift pump last fall, might have just got a bad one to start with, happens when they re cheap these days.

kscessnadriver
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 150 dies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just to update, got back to the tractor to work on it. While I don't have it running yet, I'm 99% sure it was the filter, as pulling the old fuel filter revealed it to be clogged with a large amount of rust/sludge. Once I get the system bled out, I'll know for sure.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 150 dies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kscessnadriver wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:37:54 05/19/19) Just to update, got back to the tractor to work on it. While I don't have it running yet, I'm 99% sure it was the filter, as pulling the old fuel filter revealed it to be clogged with a large amount of rust/sludge. Once I get the system bled out, I'll know for sure.

That will do it, I'd get a couple of extra fuel filters to keep on hand just in case.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters