Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD 7000 planter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfreed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: JD 7000 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it absolutely necessary to incorporate graphite into the seed boxes?

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 7000 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never did on corn 🌽 seed

kneedeep
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: JD 7000 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-jfreed wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:35:45 06/07/19) Is it absolutely necessary to incorporate graphite into the seed boxes?

I have a 7200 4R with meters. Using a spoonful of seed talc seems to keep the fingers lubed enough to plant all I have. I will empty seed boxes and plant sunflower using same setting for corn without adding any extra talc. Meters seem to be lubed enough.

When storing the meters, I disassemble them and blow off with air and store till next season. There seems to always be some on boxes and meters unless deep cleaned.

I think a little is better than too much or none at all.

kneedeep
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: JD 7000 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-jfreed wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:35:45 06/07/19) Is it absolutely necessary to incorporate graphite into the seed boxes?

I have a 7200 4R with meters. Using a spoonful of seed talc seems to keep the fingers lubed enough to plant all I have. I will empty seed boxes and plant sunflower using same setting for corn without adding any extra talc. Meters seem to be lubed enough.

When storing the meters, I disassemble them and blow off with air and store till next season. There seems to always be some on boxes and meters unless deep cleaned.

I think a little is better than too much or none at all.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: JD 7000 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never have on corn.

The Kinse bean meters like it on large seed. Never did on the bean cups.

Paul

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 7000 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do. I figure it can't hurt and it might help.

LA in WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 7000 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Air planters have lots of air passing over/thru plastic parts....which can cause static electricity on a low humidity day, which can cause kernels to stick to plastic parts and cause skips. So marketers of graphite added talc. Graphite is for lubing, talc is for stopping static electricity.

There is no reason to use any talc in finger meters. The fingers get plenty of lubing with graphite.
Some nice high humidity day anyone who uses talc in those meters will have fun cleaning out a gooey mess in the middle of the field. BTDT.
LA in WI.

kneedeep
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: JD 7000 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-LA in WI wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:41:55 06/10/19) Graphite is for lubing, talc is for stopping static electricity.
There is no reason to use any talc in finger meters. The fingers get plenty of lubing with graphite.

LA in WI.

I did not know that! Thanks for info.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters