Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

MM sawmill engine needs magneto

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcblair
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: MM sawmill engine needs magneto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am putting my grandfathers OO Frick Sawmill back in operation, powered by a beautiful, old, and very heavy 6 cylinder MM HEB164998B (engine) / HUA 70965 (frame), but its missing its magneto. Originally, I understand it burned kerosene, but used gasoline in more modern times.

It needs a few other things, air cleaner, muffler,etc... but I sure would like to see if it runs first.

Does anyone know of the type / model of magentos that went on these engines, and a possible source for one?

Many thanks!

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: MM sawmill engine needs magneto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would GUESS is needs a pretty common CW rotation, flange mount, probably "short lug" magneto.

I would ask the guys at the "MM-specific" Forum to be sure.

Also, go to ebay and search for "Minneapolis Moline magneto, and look at results that come up.

I see a few on there with "gear drive", take a look where your mag mounts and verify that it's a "lug drive".

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: MM sawmill engine needs magneto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Wico XH would be your best choice.

mcblair
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: MM sawmill engine needs magneto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for that advice..I'm looking now for a Wico model that will fit the engine. Any resources out there with references for that engine?

mcblair
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: MM sawmill engine needs magneto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is a lug type, if that is what is meant by the two protruding tabs, and not a gear drive.

Been burning up the internet boning up on magnetos, of course.. just not alot out there. I will take your advice and hit the MM guys for more info.

Thanks for the reply!

westga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: MM sawmill engine needs magneto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wico, Model X, Spec XHD1784, Ser 435099 is what came off the MM engine that was with my Frick sawmill.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: MM sawmill engine needs magneto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a power unit like he model u engine and it has the H4 international mag on it.

westga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MM sawmill engine needs magneto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mcblair, I sent you an email.

mcblair
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MM sawmill engine needs magneto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steve Belanger located one after some searching. Apparently it is a bit of an odd ball with a special drive cup, with a 52 degree lag angle.

Thank you all for the help. It's a great brute of an engine, and I am looking forward to hearing that thing roar once again.

On another note, the muffler had a leak, and the engine is frozen up.. took off the heads and will start applying acetone and atf. Doesn't look too bad.

I wish I had barring tool to insert in the starter hole; I'm having to use a strap wrench on the harmonic balancer, but a gear would apply more torque I think.

Anyone have any ideas on rigging up a starter drive gear to turn engines on HEB's?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Stationary Engines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters