Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

202 Steering update

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIG1RED9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIG1RED9 wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:40:05 06/11/19)
Cary. In my case my power steering pump was working and within 50 hrs of use I installed new hydraulic cylinders.

Assuming your pump is good (should be it newer) and your hydraulic cylinders and good as well, then yes the valve, column, hoses and fittings along with the adapter is all you need.

I suggest you call and talk to the person I gave you in the email to make sure the parts match dimensionally to the ones sent to me.

I ordered the 100ml or 6.10 cubic inch orbital steering control kit and selected the 9" column.

If your wheel cylinders are smaller than mine then it will take less turns right to left. If yours are larger it will take more turns. I do not see how they would be different or if they are how the difference could be huge, but if to you that might be important then you need the diameter of the cylinder and its length to confirm things.

Your welcome.

Sorry it was $344.99 delivered.

BIG1RED9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You will need to order a new steering wheel.

11/16" 36 spline. If you want a tractor looking wheel then look at Oliver Super 550 and some other Olivers. If you don't care, it might be a part that a boat/speedboat shop has or if you really don't care I think I tracked it down to a GM shaft.

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIG1RED9 wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:50:17 06/11/19) You will need to order a new steering wheel.

11/16" 36 spline. If you want a tractor looking wheel then look at Oliver Super 550 and some other Olivers. If you don't care, it might be a part that a boat/speedboat shop has or if you really don't care I think I tracked it down to a GM shaft.

Thank you so much. I'll see what I can find. I'll post back here with my install. I really like this tractor but would love it if the power steering worked.

BIG1RED9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can hard right to hard left using one finger with the loader full. Very Happy

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIG1RED9 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:46:30 06/11/19)
I can hard right to hard left using one finger with the loader full. Very Happy

Don, still figuring this stuff out. Below is a drawing of the stock 202 power steering system. It starts out with those steel lines (11 & 10). Did you replace them with regular hose?

On those lines I suppose one would go to R and the other to L as the valve is shown on that website. Did you still use tee's (14) and run the four hoses as pictured, two for each cylinder?

Thanks
Cary

BIG1RED9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I replaced #3, 4, 10 and 11 with 3/8" / #6 JIC female ended hoses. I used 2-24" from the tee to the valve and 2-48" from the pump to the valve. They might be a bit long - but nothing that caused me to go OH NO!

I also replaced both #14's and added a 90 JIC so that it would come out on a better angle.

On the pump I used Pipe/JIC's so checking engine oil would be easier. I am not positive but I think the pipe was 1/4" male and the JIC was 3/8" or #6 male. I pulled the pieces and paid the premium to work it out at NAPA.

There is a tank, pump right and left hoses. Mark each as you take it apart will make it a little bit easier putting it together.

BIG1RED9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIG1RED9 wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:38:46 06/11/19)
I replaced #3, 4, 10 and 11 with 3/8" / #6 JIC female ended hoses. I used 2-24" from the tee to the valve and 2-48" from the pump to the valve. They might be a bit long - but nothing that caused me to go OH NO!

I also replaced both #14's and added a 90 JIC so that it would come out on a better angle.

On the pump I used Pipe/JIC's so checking engine oil would be easier. I am not positive but I think the pipe was 1/4" male and the JIC was 3/8" or #6 male. I pulled the pieces and paid the premium to work it out at NAPA.

There is a tank, pump right and left hoses. Mark each as you take it apart will make it a little bit easier putting it together.

Sorry the fittings at the pump I sued were 45's to change the angle of the hose entering the pump.

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIG1RED9 wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:36:00 06/12/19)
BIG1RED9 wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:38:46 06/11/19)

Sorry the fittings at the pump I sued were 45's to change the angle of the hose entering the pump.

You didn't say anything about replacing the hoses (12 & 13) from the T's to the cylinders. Were you able to use those stock hoses?

BIG1RED9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No need...unless yours leak or you want new ones. Make sure if you buy a new tee, that the hose end fitting go into the right and lest side of the tee.

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIG1RED9 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:06:38 06/12/19)
No need...unless yours leak or you want new ones. Make sure if you buy a new tee, that the hose end fitting go into the right and lest side of the tee.

Do you happen to know what those hose end fittings are called? I'm not familiar with any nomenclature when it comes to hydraulics.

BIG1RED9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I suggest that you take the hydraulic line from the pump to the tee and the tee to a physical store to match them up. No idea if mine were the same as yours and I did as I am suggesting. I went to NAPA with a few parts, we walked through what I was doing and left with the parts. You could try a hydraulics shop as well.

Once out of the tee, use JIC fittings to match the orbital. I would confirm that the orbital your being shipped is coming with #6 or 3/8 male JIC fittings (they are the same #6= 6/16" #8 = 8/16"), assuming it is coming with #6 then use #6 JIC female hose ends for all the hoses and make sure the "middle" part of the tee is a #6 male JIC.

I changed my pump in and out fittings. I used 45 degree fittings for better dipstick access. Match your current pump fitting on one end and the other a #6 male JIC

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIG1RED9 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:41:03 06/12/19) I suggest that you take the hydraulic line from the pump to the tee and the tee to a physical store to match them up. No idea if mine were the same as yours and I did as I am suggesting. I went to NAPA with a few parts, we walked through what I was doing and left with the parts. You could try a hydraulics shop as well.

Once out of the tee, use JIC fittings to match the orbital. I would confirm that the orbital your being shipped is coming with #6 or 3/8 male JIC fittings (they are the same #6= 6/16" #8 = 8/16"), assuming it is coming with #6 then use #6 JIC female hose ends for all the hoses and make sure the "middle" part of the tee is a #6 male JIC.

I changed my pump in and out fittings. I used 45 degree fittings for better dipstick access. Match your current pump fitting on one end and the other a #6 male JIC

Thanks for your help. I will do as you suggested. I do have a Napa in my town. They made up a new hose for me when one of mine on my 8N's FEL blew out.

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIG1RED9 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:41:03 06/12/19) I suggest that you take the hydraulic line from the pump to the tee and the tee to a physical store to match them up. No idea if mine were the same as yours and I did as I am suggesting. I went to NAPA with a few parts, we walked through what I was doing and left with the parts. You could try a hydraulics shop as well.

Sorry but you lost me on the above in red. There is no hydraulic line from the pump to the TEE fittings. Both lines from the pump go to valve itself. Sorry to be such a pia. I guess this will get a little easier once I have all the parts in front of me and I have the dash off again.

BIG1RED9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your welcome.

Today was my first work day with all the changes I made. As an example...I used my bucket to make about a 2 high foot pile of dirt. I was able to drive along side the pile, turn the front wheels after passing it and able to line up the box blade to catch the pile for leveling - with one hand and without having to backup.

It was so much worth the cost and the process.

BIG1RED9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 Steering update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your right

1. Take the pump fitting that the hose connects to
2. Take a hose from the cylinder to the tee and the tee

To many distractions on my end.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters