Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Custom Wiring Harness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
euswdwj@yahoo.com
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Custom Wiring Harness Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi All!

Am ready to rewire the Ferguson TO-35 to make it safe again.

A starter button and solenoid are now in place and would like to bring the neutral safety switch back into the circuit. Also the Generator has been replaced with a one-wire alternator.

As there are no wiring diagrams that include these alterations I made up my own.

My questions are two:
What wire gauges would be best to use?
Where do in-line fuses need to be placed and with what amperage?

Anything else you can think of?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Wiring Harness Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The way you have them Ammeter connected, it will only show alternator output. Batter power should connect to one side, alternator and all electrical loads to the other.

Why are you feeding power to the ignition switch with a 16 GA wire, then continuing to the coil and distributor with (heavier) 14 GA wire?

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Wiring Harness Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everything looks good except the accessories need to be wired to the same side of the amp meter as the alternator.

I would go up to 14ga where you have 16ga.

The 16ga will work, but 14 will be just a little more forgiving of vibration.

When buying the wire, go with the low voltage automotive wire, not THHN building wire. The automotive wire is more flexible, easier to work with, finer strand for vibration resistance.

The ground strap from the battery, originally it was attached to the sheet metal behind the battery. That was a common source of problems, I would connect it to something on the engine itself, like a bell housing bolt.

It would only need one fuse, a 15a in the line from the amp meter to the key switch.

Get some of the split black wire loom and some metal straps to secure the loom. It makes for a really pro looking job.
Wire Loom

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Wiring Harness Reply to specific post Reply with quote

euswdwj@yahoo.com wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:41:36 07/02/19) Hi All!

Am ready to rewire the Ferguson TO-35 to make it safe again.

A starter button and solenoid are now in place and would like to bring the neutral safety switch back into the circuit. Also the Generator has been replaced with a one-wire alternator.

As there are no wiring diagrams that include these alterations I made up my own.

My questions are two:
What wire gauges would be best to use?
Where do in-line fuses need to be placed and with what amperage?

Anything else you can think of?
Ammeter should between battery and all else, excepting starter, of course.

euswdwj@yahoo.com
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Wiring Harness Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing out that the accessories go on the alternator side of the Ammeter. Is this to help indicate parasitic draw on the battery?

Also thanks for providing the location and the amperage of the fuse.

Here is a revised wiring diagram. Please comment on wire gauge and anything else you would like to suggest:

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters