Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Homelite blower

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Homelite blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Homelite blower recoil starter tore up. The blower is old and plastic breaking up but still run good. Didn't want to get all stuff to fix it right so I cut a hole in the plastic so I could put a socket on the crank nut and spin with cordless drill. It wouldn't start. I trouble shoot and not getting spark. It doesn't have kill switch and it is spinning plenty fast. Why, did it stop sparking??

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Homelite blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you by chance spinning it backwards.??

Gary Reif
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Homelite blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I doubt that your drill will spin fast
enough to create a spark.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Homelite blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is the first thing I thought. If you play that game with some chainsaws the nut on the flywheel comes off. Might be time to hit the flea market. There are used blowers of all sizes all over the place. Little hand held units right up to commercial backpack blowers. Many of them in a surprisingly good condition. Rental outfits turn their inventory over usually yearly. Tax write off. I know two gu6s who buy Everything they have and referb it. About 80% is fixable and the rest need some parts. Demolition saws and some other stuff is usually trash. People just love to remove plugged up air filters and keep on cutting.

ldj
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Homelite blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

UPDATE: Spark plug wire was cut nearly half way through by some plastic it was laying against. Without that plastic the cut was laying on metal. When I noticed that and put that plastic back on the spark plug wire doesn't lay on metal and it starts right up with the drill. As some one mentioned about the nut coming off I am also concerned. If that happens there is enough crank sticking out I can double nut it and I doubt it would ever come loose.

Mule Meat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Homelite blower Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Gary Reif wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:50:15 07/11/19) I doubt that your drill will spin fast
enough to create a spark.

A cordless drill can spin it fast enough to start the engine.

Problem is the engine will only spin as fast as the drill. In other words you need a One Way bearing or Ratcheting connector that will allow the socket to "free wheel" once the engine fires. Without one the engine will only spin the same RPMs as the drill. So when the drill stops so will the engine unless you have enough torque for the engine to over ride the drill.

Then to add. If you look at most small two stroke engines. The flywheel nut comes off in the same direction as the engine rotates.

Spinning the engine backwards would not cause a loss of spark. It would only be out of time. Same as it would with a sheared flywheel key. It will spark. But not run correctly if at all.

Plug, kill switch wiring, coil & plug wire..

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters