Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tomato issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Tomato issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Plants are loaded with tomatoes, but leaves look terrible. What is the problem? What is the solution? Thanks.

These are Roma tomatoes

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tomato issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

blight

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tomato issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd also say blight.

Sadly, mine are looking much the same. Sad

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tomato issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Blight, used to have it years ago on tomatoes.Once I started using Planters II and composted goat manure to fertilize the tomatoes never had any more blight.My neighbor
has had it every year he was going to quit planting tomatoes, this year I convinced him to use Planters II plus organic fertilizer and lay off the chemical fertilizer.So
far his tomatoes are beautiful and healthy,I also planted Crimson Clover as a cover crop in his garden last Fall and tilled it in for him this Spring.

Crazy Horse
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tomato issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Up here there is a condition that often affects tomato plants called LEAF CURL (see link below). I am growing some tomato plants in pots this year for the first time and I made up my own potting mix from some garden soil and some commercial potting mix (which I often wonder about as to what it really is). It really affects the whole plant and fruit production so I doubt it is what you have. My plants (same source) in the regular garden are fine, just the potted ones. I suspect some kind of herbicide contamination in something that was mixed into the potting soil mix. My daughter has the same issue with her potted tomatoes and we used the same soil mixture.
Tomato Leaf Curl ......

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tomato issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see mostly early blight and a little leaf spot in your picture.

Prevention;
You want good air flow.
Prune any leaves below the first set of fruit.
Prune off any suckers.
Keep the plant to a single stem.
Space plants out.

Sprays to use as a prevention because once the fungus gets into the leaf there is no cure.
A fungicide containing copper hydroxide.
Fungicides with chlorothalonil or mancozeb will also work.
Spray every 7 to 10 days and cover every spot on the plant.
Any untreated leaves will not be protected.
Unlike bug spray where the bug walks around the plant a fungicide needs to be placed where the fungus spore lands.

If you want to stay organic mix a spray with a couple teaspoons of baking soda a teaspoon of cooking oil and a couple drops of dish soap in 1 gallon of water. This will not kill the fungus but provides a PH environment where the fungus spores can not grow. Repeat the spray every 7 to 10 days and cover every leaf like above.

4520BW
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tomato issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Blight. Try not to plant maters in the area every year. The growers by me only grow in the same field every 3 years unless it wet line this year and they have to.

johnlobb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tomato issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the same problem and at the tractor show last August, I happened to mention to Kim Lund (RR's wife) about my problem. She is an expert in tomatos, and she said to spread baking soda all over my garden in the fall. I spread the soda and this year, so far, my tomatos look great and are thriving! She even sent me some heirloom seeds of which 2 have survived and are doing well. I'll attach a pic of my tomatos later...

johnlobb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomato issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pics. the 4th pic is of the 2 heirloom tomato seeds Kim Lund gave me. I had plenty of blight last year...

I don't know how the double got in there?

johnlobb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomato issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If my soil looks like potting soil, I answered a CL ad for a guy looking to get rid of potting soil, and forgot about it. About a month ago, a guy called and wanted to know if I still wanted the soil. I said yes so he brought over a covered trailer filled with what looked like 60-70 5 gallon buckets filled with potting soil. He had bought a foreclosure and these were in the pole barn. He feels the previous owners had been growing an illegal substance! And most places wanted to charge him to get rid of it...Since my ground is pretty sandy, I am always looking for ways to add organics to it.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomato issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remove all dead plants at end of season.

4520BW
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomato issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We burn all our dead plants except the sweet corn. It has to be mowed or disced down so many days after harvest. Has to do with bug resistant traits.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters