Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiffLock
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm keeping an eye out for a small square baler and there is a farm sale around here this weekend which has both an MF 124 and an MF 128.

I was trying to work out the difference between these models. As far as I can tell they were both made around the same era, but the 128 was a higher capacity baler with wider pickup than the 124, would that be about right?

Fred.

Hay maker2
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are two manufacture's of balers and Massey Ferguson is not one of them.

Save your money and find a John Deere or New Holland.

I'm for sure the flood gates will open up and I will hear about how great that the Massy and Agco balers are. Just drive around and see how many Massy, Agco, Case, or IH balers are out there and then take a look at how many John Deere's and New Hollands are out there. The numbers don't lie!

Hay hay hay
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Balers were like most implements...regional. I used to live in a state where most all the balers were Massey Ferguson and they made some very good balers. I remember a reply on this forum saying that his MF baler would out bale his NH baler. However, sorry I can not answer your question. Have you googled baler specifications?

Hay hay hay
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great video of a 128 in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED8IAoaDV7U

mudcreek183
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ran a 124 for years for it's era they weren't bad balers by today's standard they are small.Trade up to NH 570 it was like going mini pickup to a 1 ton

Brendon-KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

But the numbers you see in one area hardly
tell the whole story, either. There are
many places, especially in the west, where
AGCO in-line balers hold a significant
market share.

Brown Swiss
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Big squares around here are mostly Massey!

mike448105
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a massey 124 it was the worst baler ive ever owned , one out of 10 bales would tie... just my 2 cents

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-mike448105 wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:08:55 07/11/19) I had a massey 124 it was the worst baler ive ever owned , one out of 10 bales would tie... just my 2 cents

Was that new or used when you bought it?

Donovan from Wisconsin

DiffLock
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hay hay hay wrote:
(reply to post at 10:39:45 07/11/19)
Balers were like most implements...regional. I used to live in a state where most all the balers were Massey Ferguson and they made some very good balers. I remember a reply on this forum saying that his MF baler would out bale his NH baler. However, sorry I can not answer your question. Have you googled baler specifications?

Thank you. I've found a comparative report. Pickup on MF124 is 5' wide, 6' 8" on the MF128 and some differences in optional vs standard equipment.

I agree about regional differences. I'm in Australia and old square balers advertised for sale around here mostly seem to be NH and MF, with a few IHs. Old JD square balers seem quite rare here, as far as I can tell.

DiffLock
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DiffLock wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:03:58 07/11/19)

Thank you. I've found a comparative report. Pickup on MF124 is 5' wide, 6' 8" on the MF128 and some differences in optional vs standard equipment.

Whoops! I quoted an incorrect measurement for the MF128 (should have proof read a bit better).

That should read 5' for the MF124, and 5' 8" for the MF128.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The MF knotter has two great advantages over NH and JD. first, due to its design it has no tucker fingers. Tucker fingers areknown to be JDs weak point. Second, It has no twine wipers which are known to be the NH weak point.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anything MF for the past 30 years forget it. Was hard to find a dealer even gt parts less a new machine. Dealers verry scarce. Havent seen a MF square baler since the late 60's or was it the 70's? Was a round baler setting in edge of field I went by daily for 3-3 years that you could tell was abandoed. Haven't seen a McCormick since the IHC-Case flop.

jacksun65
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I Have a MF120 baler smaller and a 124, great knotters keep them clean and greased work great year after
year. One quirk they like big windrows and when you hear ca chunk you are feeding it a little to much
LOL. Bought mine at a farm sale 15yrs ago for $500 have only broke one spring and a needle get the book
and run the timing.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Balers - MF 124 vs MF 128 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hesston was a good machine until fagco/ fiat cheapened em up and put the mother f****r name on the side . Lots of Hesston big balers and in-line balers . There is one new Massey Ferguson in-line baler and you can hear the plunger knock from a mile away Agco can?t fix it or they haven?t and now it?s almost out of warranty

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters