Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Recommendation for a reasonable priced lawn or garden tracto

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Married2Allis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for a reasonable priced lawn or garden tr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-wsmm wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:14:16 01/18/19) Being retired ... I'm looking for a GOOD and reasonably priced lawn or garden tractor ... Bill

Zero-turns are great for retired people who want to have their teeth rattled and lower lumbars compressing while they fly over bumps and spin around. Really makes for a nice mellow mowing experience. And make sure your grandkids are safely inside away from any windows when that 30hp mower blade meets up a rock.

Tom Arnold
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for a reasonable priced lawn or garden tr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Zero-Turn's can be used at any speed from a crawl to max. Sure, some of them are rougher riding than a conventional GT but that is why you test drive them in advance. You also do internet
searches to find the smoothest brands/models. NO ONE should be in the vicinity of ANY machine that is cutting the grass with a rotary mower. A 10 HP LT can toss a rock just as far as that 30
HP ZT can.

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for a reasonable priced lawn or garden tr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kohler Command engines are great engines and will run forever. Kohler Courage engines are junk and need to be avoided.

Married2Allis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for a reasonable priced lawn or garden tr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like Bill prefers a lawn/garden tractor. Probably old school like me. I run an older Scag Tiger at my church. That thing is a beast, and has castor-like front wheels ... hard rubber which probably causes the harsh eyeball-shaking ride. I guess the newer ones have a more plush ride, but if I bought a new ZT with the best ride it would be a good one like an Exmark, but I don't think he wants to spend 10 grand. At home, I enjoy mowing with one of my Cub Cadets ... cup holder on the fender holding a cold one -- which doesn't seem to spill.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for a reasonable priced lawn or garden tr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Hustler had that rough ride problem too till I bought a couple of springs to put under the seat plate. Can't believe that a lot of ZT mfgrs. don't think all that much about a comfortable ride. Let's see if I can find the spring in my Bookmarks.......tried numerous, but this spring in pairs for folks up to 200# (est) and on some machines (I've installed them on everything) one on each side and a third in the center.

Just plug this number into any www search engine: 732-05182A (SPRING-COMPRESSION SEAT)

I saw the springs on a Cub Cadet conventional riding mower going into TSC one day. I had been fighting the spring issue for years on my mowers and tractors since my Houston Black Clay soil and Fescue clumps and such just make for a miserable ride. Sat on the tractor, bounced up and down a few times and wala.....she has arrived!!!!! Went to the www and looked up the CC model number, went to the parts list and found the spring. The picture doesn't give the spring justice as it is a large diameter, small, softer wire, with few coils making for a long stroke with a reasonable resistance......nothing like the "valve springs on engines" that most OEMS seem to prefer.....if sprung at all.

Restlessness
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for a reasonable priced lawn or garden tr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have owned several push mowers and self propelled mowers during my life. Both types have done a lot of work. Currently I own a regular push mower, a rear drive self propelled mower, and an older front drive self propelled (drive system not working).

The self propelled mowers can be a PITA to keep running properly. Sometimes they have a drive belt to fall off, a drive wheel to strip out, or the propelling gearbox stops working as it should. The self propelled mowers are heavy to lift also. Some mower decks are stamped out of thicker steel than others. My rear wheel drive mower does wheelies when going up hill. It is in brand new condition and it has been sitting in my workshop.

My regular push mower is the mower I have been using the most lately. It starts right up and mows as it should. The push mower is designed to be a mulching mower or side discharge. A bagger came with it also, and it has high back wheels. The push mower is much lighter than the self propelled mowers and the steel is thinner. A lighter mower is not as durable but they are easier to push. Usually I just use my push mower to trim around the hard to reach places in the yard after I use my riding mower to mow the big part of the yard.

Even though there have been times that I had to use a self propelled mower to mow my yard because my riding mower was not running I still like a plain push mower without all the bells and whistles.

Married2Allis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for a reasonable priced lawn or garden tr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you don't mind turning a wrench now and then, a good used tractor could be the way to go. Look for a good one from the 1980's with low hours and you can save $$$thousands over the price of a new one. Many of these were stone reliable including the JDs and Cub Cadets.

The one below and similar models (782, etc.) were the the high-water mark for Cub Cadet and extremely popular. There are still many model 1811/12s out there with 700-800 hours. The cast iron Kohler M18 twin is one of tne best garden tractor engines ever built, and at 700-800 hours still will have a long life if taken care of. All of the components on these tractors are 100% serviceable. No problem getting parts in general. A good supply is still out there for used parts. The newer Kohlers are not nearly as bulletproof and are designed to get horsepower at peak prm. Unlike the cast iron magnum twins and Onan twins designed to make power at mid-rpm so with those you can run at less than full throttle.

I really enjoy mowing with my 782, cuts absolutely great and have the satisfaction of knowing how little money invested (looks like new) compared to a comparable tractor new costing at least over $5000.

However I would avoid the Onan twins due to the aluminum cylinders. They were prone to damage from overheating, required extreme care to keep the cooling fins free of grass clippings, and strict attention to service intervals or serious valve problems would result.

W_B
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for a reasonable priced lawn or garden tr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-wgm wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:25:22 01/24/19) Kohler Command engines are great engines and will run forever. Kohler Courage engines are junk and need to be avoided.

The single cyl. Courage is junk, the twins work just fine and are reasonably reliable.

W_B
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendation for a reasonable priced lawn or garden tr Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've bought three used mowers in the last 3-4 years, one broken axle, one failed hyro trans and a dropped valve seat. Fixing the valve seat and will contnue to use it (JD GT275).

My experience with new MTD built has been better overall. My first one I used 10 years until the front axle failed, the second 12 years and just bought a third (Craftsman T210). Spent about $1,500 - 1,600 on each.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters