Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

getting title for a trailer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: getting title for a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

been looking to buy a 12-16 foot trailer. see a lot with no titles. does anyone know in Missouri what you have to do and the cost to get a clear title. thanks norm

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: getting title for a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have two that I bought new. I was never given a title for either. Maybe it's just Texas but I was never asked for a title when licensing them. I think you could steal one and have it licensed in your name before you went home.

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: getting title for a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have titled two trailers in Indiana, the laws in your state are likely different. I went to the local DMV (license bureau) and asked how to do it. We have a form for a builders title (home built) and for lost title which was my case. Both require a police inspection and signature on the form after which you can apply for a title.

Most recently I bought a trailer from Alabama. Since Alabama did not use titles for trailers built in 2000 I had to apply for an Indiana title. Again I obtained the form and a police inspection.

I would think your first step would be a visit to the DMV. Good luck it can be tricky.

SDE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: getting title for a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a trailer without a title, here in WI.. When I got the re placement title, It said "homemade" for the brand name. They had the history of the trailer on file, but they would not share any of the info with me or put it on the title either. I needed the title and got what I needed. For info in your state call your local Law enforcement agency or State Police.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: getting title for a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is home made all you have to do is get it inspected and claim you made it and you can get a title. BTDT a few times here in MO

47fivewindow
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: getting title for a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buy a junk trailer and keep the tongue with the serial number and swap it to the good one. Or just buy a number/letter stamp kit and stamp the title number on the good trailer...Not that I would do something dishonest, LOL

Ronnie Budd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: getting title for a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In Missouri, if it is 16 feet or less, just get it inspected at any inspection station ($10 fee), then take that certificate to the DMV and they will issue a VIN tag and a title. If it is over 16 feet, same process and cost except you'll need to have the Sheriff's Department or the Highway Patrol do the inspection. $10 inspection fee either way.

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: getting title for a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I live in Mo. and it is just as Ronnie said. Did it on 2 differ3nt ones I had bought with no title and used around the place, then later wanted to license for road use, and it was simple.

T in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: getting title for a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In Nebraska if you get a new title with a new VIN on it, you get to pay new trailer sales tax on it, too.

rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: getting title for a trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look into buying a new one. I bought a new 25 foot, 20k gooseneck trailer fall of 2015 after looking for several years for what I wanted. Most used trailers were either not quite right, priced very close to a new one, or flat out shot from yay-whos overloading or otherwise abusing them. Homemade trailers tend to be really hit-or-miss for quality. For every good one, there's 10 bad ones.

What I say is doubly true for the size trailer you're seeking. They're usually lightly built and overloaded when I see them on the road.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters