Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IH 3121 Backhoe Controls not working

View previous topic :: View next topic  
irvman358
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: IH 3121 Backhoe Controls not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a IH2504 with a 3121 Backhoe, when I first got the machine the backhoe worked but was weak, now none of the controls work at all. By chance I discovered that when I pulled or pushed the swing lever the swing would not work but everything else would. So it seems that the swing lever is either blocking pressure from getting to all of the other functions when it is in the neutral position and/or the pressure is allow to bypass when the swing lever is actuated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

greg gg
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 3121 Backhoe Controls not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my international 3444 with a 3141 hoe, there is a push/pull valve on the right fender to select either power steering or swing cylinder. When I forget
to pull it up the lift and boom cylinders will still move only if the swing valve is pulled. I would guess you may have similar valve.

irvman358
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 3121 Backhoe Controls not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That two way valve is on the left side mount almost directly under the seat, I replaced the valve thinking maybe that was the problem but nothing changed.

greg gg
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: IH 3121 Backhoe Controls not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the pressure relief valves. I once had a piece of paper towel or shop rag stuck in the valve holding it open.

irvman358
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: IH 3121 Backhoe Controls not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess I have to ask how the heck would something like that get into the system but I guess in peoples haste to get things back together anything is possible. I really have no idea where the relief valve is, all of the literature I have bought hasn't helped. I am reluctant to take anything apart without having a clue about how it works and what I might be looking for.

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: IH 3121 Backhoe Controls not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The swing circuit uses a totally different hydraulic pump then the rest of the backhoe. I suspect you just have a worn out main hydraulic
pump and maybe the swing pump is bad too.

I battled my 3121 for years as it got weaker and weaker. And just like your's - hitting the swing lever seemed to affect the boom or dipper-
stick speed. It seems to make no sense but it happens just the same. I finally put two new pumps on my 3121 and it has worked great ever
since. That was 5 years ago. Best thing I ever did to the machine.

When I put the two new pumps in I also discovered my machine had no hydraulic filter in it at all. So I flushed it out best I could and put
a new filter in the tank. My 3121 is on a 3414 machine.

irvman358
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 3121 Backhoe Controls not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JDEM wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:52:33 07/11/19) The swing circuit uses a totally different hydraulic pump then the rest of the backhoe. I suspect you just have a worn out main hydraulic
pump and maybe the swing pump is bad too.

I battled my 3121 for years as it got weaker and weaker. And just like your's - hitting the swing lever seemed to affect the boom or dipper-
stick speed. It seems to make no sense but it happens just the same. I finally put two new pumps on my 3121 and it has worked great ever
since. That was 5 years ago. Best thing I ever did to the machine.

When I put the two new pumps in I also discovered my machine had no hydraulic filter in it at all. So I flushed it out best I could and put
a new filter in the tank. My 3121 is on a 3414 machine.

I have changed the pump thinking that it might be the problem, the power steering pump that piggy back on the pump work because the power steering works when I move the two way valve (Which is new) forward when I m not trying to use the backhoe.

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 3121 Backhoe Controls not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your main pump is likely worn out. You probably have a generic Cessna gear pump. Same as used on many Deere, Ford, Case, etc. backhoes and
tractors.

irvman358
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 3121 Backhoe Controls not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JDEM wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:55:34 07/11/19) Your main pump is likely worn out. You probably have a generic Cessna gear pump. Same as used on many Deere, Ford, Case, etc. backhoes and
tractors.

The pump is literally brand new, if there s 10 hours on it I would be surprise.

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 3121 Backhoe Controls not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your machine has two new pumps?

irvman358
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: IH 3121 Backhoe Controls not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JDEM wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:40:38 07/11/19) Your machine has two new pumps?

Yes the machine has two pumps, one is attached to the other inside the transmission housing, the filter is on the opposite side.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters