Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EngineGeek21YT
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello everyone, we have a NH 847 Round Baler which broke a few links on the upper chain where the bale spins. it broke while the bale was coming out and it was a pain to get to a workable position. We tried using a come-along to move the links closer together but it still needs about 6" of movement, and it's going any more closer together. Is there some sort of way we can release tension in the chain and the rollers so we can get it functional again? My only other thought is to jam something between the door and the ground, and then work on it, but that sure isn't safe. Smile Any ideas or pointers will be helpful!!!

Thanks,
EngineGeek21YT

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chai Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have to release the tension on the big springs
on the back

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chai Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am sorry to be so crass, but that baler with the chain in it,, was the most stupid idea they ever come with, that's why they had to eat crow and switched to belts!

jfreed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chai Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there any info in your operators manual?

hymie2lt
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chai Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can possibly loosen the big springs to release the tension....however they are probably rusted so they wont move much, or easily. You are on the right track with
the comealong. That is how I replaced links in my chain. I put the comealong hooks directly into the chain links...a few away from the break and tightened until I could
put the link in.
Good baler these 847s. I have used one for years until a couple of years ago.
Wayne

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chai Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The manual tells you how to release tension on the
springs It?s not hard at least on the 851 you position
the gate and then pull pins and it releases the
spring tension you don?t have to try and unscrew the
spring bolts . All you will do if you keep pulling with
that much gap is kink or break the tubes then the
whole chain will come out at high rated of speed

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chai Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-FastFarmall wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:08:55 07/09/19) I am sorry to be so crass, but that baler with the chain in it,, was the most stupid idea they ever come with, that's why they had to eat crow and switched to belts!

Seems like you either love 'em or you hate 'em... I've heard these things are so tough that they will bale fenceposts.

Krone still makes a line of chain balers.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chai Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not the balers, the problem with the chain balers were the stupid operators running them.I've baled thousands of bales with the NH chain balers with very few problems and most problems are
avoidable if the operator knows what to look for as they do have wear points just like all machinery.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chai Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since the break is where its at now I'd just get some heavy wood blocks and block up the tailgate of the baler and then pull the chain together.Make sure the teeth of the chains are aligned on the drive sprockets first though.Also inspect for any missing bolts in the bars,bent bars and twisted chain links.Could be the angle of the picture but the bar on the top
sprocket appears to be bent.Running the baler with bent bars is a sure way to have a lot of trouble.

1130Leo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chai Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New Holland has a new line of them as well, the fixed chamber balers. Chains are good, and less expensive machines, they are also slower, so the capacity is lower. I prefer the chain balers, less parts to
catch on fire. My old 855 with airbags still makes a great bale for me.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chai Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New Holland makes a new fixed chamber apron
chain baler they?re not that bad if you keep up the
maintenance on em the newer ones like the 855
actually make a decent bale that doesn?t fall apart
the first time you handle it

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chai Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I gave my manual away it was for an 851 that the spring setup was a little bit different

jfreed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: NH 847 Round Baler Chain Broke: How Do I Loosen The Chai Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry,my question was for the OP.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters