Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

City boy question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregww
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: City boy question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I asked a farmer this once, and he could not tell me. Anyway, sitting here eating a canned Chinese dinner. I know yum yum. It has those little bitty ears of corn in it. Where do they get these little ears of corn? Do they simply pick corn when it is very very young? I know you can grow cherry tomatoes. They are small. Is there a special variety of corn that is very small?

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: City boy question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Must be some kind of special corn. The regular corn we know grows a long cob before the kernals form.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: City boy question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of that I have seen in the Chinese kitchens is sweet corn. In the canning
process they come from the ears of regular corn. You see ears of corn now and
then that have that little minny ear growing up the side like a dew claw. I
would assume most is just very young corn harvested really early in growth. You
want to plant some?

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: City boy question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to my Google search Baby corn is the secondary ears harvested before development when the silk
barely shows from the secondary ears. It has to be hand picked at the proper time. The primary ear can be
left to mature to common size.
Loren

gregww
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: City boy question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems very labor intensive for what it is.

Crazy Horse
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: City boy question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe this is the info you read about ACG .... from Wikipedia .... I must say that this info surprises me. Nowadays with all sorts of small fruit and veggies actually being their own variety (tiny tomatoes, tiny potatoes, etc), you'd think there would be a tiny corn plant.

Baby corn (also known as young corn, cornlets or baby sweetcorn) is a cereal grain taken from corn (maize) harvested early while the stalks are still small and immature. It typically is eaten whole ? cob included ? in contrast to mature corn, whose cob is too tough for human consumption. It is eaten both raw and cooked. Baby corn is common in stir fry dishes.

Production methods - There are two methods for producing baby corn either as a primary crop or as a secondary crop in a planting of sweet corn or field corn. In the first method, a seed variety is chosen and planted to produce only baby corn. Many varieties are suitable, but those developed specifically for baby corn tend to produce more ears per plant. In the second production method, the variety is selected to produce sweet or field corn. The second ear from the top of the plant is harvested for baby corn, while the top ear is allowed to mature.

Baby corn ears are hand-picked as soon as the corn silks emerge from the ear tips, or a few days after. Corn generally matures very quickly, so the harvest of baby corn must be timed carefully to avoid ending up with more mature corn ears. Baby corn ears are typically 4.5 to 10 cm (1.8?3.9 in) in length and 0.7 to 1.7 cm (0.28?0.67 in) in diameter.

Uses - Baby corn is consumed worldwide.[3] Its production has increased from 239.7 to 279.7 million tonnes from 2003 to 2013.

Baby corn forage can also be fed fresh or ensilaged to livestock animals.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters