Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 3 Cylinder Tie Rod Boots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTPhil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Ford 3 Cylinder Tie Rod Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone found a suitable dust boot for the steering joints on 3 cylinder models? All I can come up with are ones for N or hundred series. The ones on my 3 cylinder models are around 2 inches base diameter, a fair bit bigger than earlier models.

Thanks!

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3 Cylinder Tie Rod Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think that the 3 cylinder tractors had rubber boots on the tie rod ends. The joints seem to last for a good long time without them. I'm guessing the the Ford engineers designed them that way so that any dirt that got in there could work its way back out instead of being trapped. If you want to add them I would suggest that you go to an auto parts store and see if they have any that will fit. It's not like you need a tractor specific boot.

Check Break
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3 Cylinder Tie Rod Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got tired of buying Ford dust boots. The OEM stock was old and the rubber failed quickly. Maybe they're selling new China now but there's a much better option. Polyurethane. The auto parts store will have them. When you figure out which one you need for your application, buy them online for less. The one you need will be smaller than you think but it will spread out when you tighten the rod end.

CTPhil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3 Cylinder Tie Rod Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check Break wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:52:22 07/11/19)
I got tired of buying Ford dust boots. The OEM stock was old and the rubber failed quickly. Maybe they're selling new China now but there's a much better option. Polyurethane. The auto parts store will have them. When you figure out which one you need for your application, buy them online for less. The one you need will be smaller than you think but it will spread out when you tighten the rod end.

I looked online at several auto parts stores and they have nothing close. The closest are the ones for the N's and 100 series. I guess I'll just settle for those. Sad

All of my 5 3 cylinder Fords have dust boots, with the exception of the joint on the power steering cylinders that connects to the drag arm. For the life of me I don't understand that, they face up to catch the rain, and don't even have grease fittings.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3 Cylinder Tie Rod Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You do know there's at least a couple
dozen 3 cylinder models. Yes?
So for future reference, a model # would
help.
That said, I completely rehabbed a 4400
a few years ago. Those have only two
steering joints on them. I ordered new
ones from CNH.
Was surprised when the came and they
looked like doughnuts and were made out
of a dense foam rubber. They were yellow
- maybe for industrial models?
About 1 1/2" OD, maybe 5/8" ID and about
5/8 or 3/4" thick.
At first I thought WTH, but put them on
anyway. When you tightened the joint
down they crushed a little. They
actually sealed better than the boot
type and I thought they were a good
idea. I assume they were made to
withstand UV, rain, grease, cold, etc
but did not keep the tractor long enough
to know how long they would last.
I think I would use them again and even
thought about making some out of the
dense foam insulation like you use on
water pipes. Maybe use two layers?
A guy should be able to cut/trim the
foam with good tin snips so they would
look halfway decent.
Or order that type from CNH?

CTPhil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3 Cylinder Tie Rod Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I do know there are different models. All of my different models seem to have the same dust boots more or less. An extensive Google search leads me to believe that nobody makes a boot for any of them, so I'm just looking for something close in size.

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3 Cylinder Tie Rod Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 7000 and 7600 have (had) that style. They hold up well.

Check Break
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3 Cylinder Tie Rod Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CTPhil wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:39:18 07/11/19)
Check Break wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:52:22 07/11/19)

I looked online at several auto parts stores and they have nothing close. The closest are the ones for the N's and 100 series. I guess I'll just settle for those. Sad

All of my 5 3 cylinder Fords have dust boots, with the exception of the joint on the power steering cylinders that connects to the drag arm. For the life of me I don't understand that, they face up to catch the rain, and don't even have grease fittings.

If you have a 2/3/4000 Ag model, the Energy Suspension part no. is 9.13101R for the red boot. I don't have the black boot part number handy. You'll have to look it up. If you have an industrial model, you'll need a bigger boot.

CTPhil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3 Cylinder Tie Rod Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I had looked at those but couldn't find a size listed.

Check Break
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3 Cylinder Tie Rod Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CTPhil wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:35:18 07/11/19) Thanks, I had looked at those but couldn't find a size listed.

Download the Energy Suspension catalog and check out page 15, Tie Rod Dust Boots. Select a dust boot that fits tight on Dimension A. She'll squeeze down and cover Dimension B, within reason. Once you buy a couple of boots and install one, you'll see why this is an easy and cheap solution to an irritating problem. The polyurethane is as tough as it comes. If only they all could be this easy.

http://www.energysuspension.com/assets/files/energysuspension-catalog.pdf

Check Break
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3 Cylinder Tie Rod Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Ultradog MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:29:03 07/11/19) ... Was surprised when the came and they looked like doughnuts and were made out of a dense foam rubber. They were yellow - maybe for industrial models? About 1 1/2" OD, maybe 5/8" ID and about 5/8 or 3/4" thick. At first I thought WTH, but put them on anyway. When you tightened the joint down they crushed a little. They actually sealed better than the boot type and I thought they were a good idea.

You're kind of describing neoprene rubber. Foam like but dense and tough. I'm kind of wondering, with all the polyurethane profiles available, if you couldn't do the same thing with a poly bushing, or half thereof. From what I've seen the past 7-8 years, a poly boot may be a one time replacement.

CTPhil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3 Cylinder Tie Rod Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check Break wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:09:04 07/11/19)
CTPhil wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:35:18 07/11/19) Thanks, I had looked at those but couldn't find a size listed.

Download the Energy Suspension catalog and check out page 15, Tie Rod Dust Boots. Select a dust boot that fits tight on Dimension A. She'll squeeze down and cover Dimension B, within reason. Once you buy a couple of boots and install one, you'll see why this is an easy and cheap solution to an irritating problem. The polyurethane is as tough as it comes. If only they all could be this easy.

http://www.energysuspension.com/assets/files/energysuspension-catalog.pdf

Thanks! That looks like the way I'll go Smile

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters