Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

New Holland 273 Pickup Tines flipping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve terplak
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: New Holland 273 Pickup Tines flipping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NH273. Was out baking today and pickup got jammed. Tine bar on reel had flipped.
Got jammed towards the end of the season last year. Replaced cam follower bearings this winter. Has worked flawlessly for 1,000 bales.
Besides the can followers being shot. What else can cause this?
Can it ever happen due to bad luck/rough ground. Happened while going through a patch of uneven ground and pickup was chewing into the sod for a minute. Could that have been issue?
Pulled the pickup guides to look and everything seems to be intact and in working order...
Thoughts?

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Holland 273 Pickup Tines flipping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cam itself could have a worn through spot or the tine bars have too much end play that allows the follower to occasionally jump out of the track. Could the entire pickup reel have too much end play? If that's the case only the bands are keeping it in place.

steve terplak
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Holland 273 Pickup Tines flipping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should the bar be able to flip itself? When o rotate the reel by hand and the bars are at the 1 o?clock, 4 oclock, 7 and 10 o?clock positions, I can rotate the 1 o?clock bar to reverse itself. Should this be possible? What prevents this from happening?

Hay hay hay
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Holland 273 Pickup Tines flipping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2 points. first, chack the cam it5self...they do wear out and break. I just replaced one last winter.
second, how did you hold the bearing while tightening the nut? If you did not hold it with a big slotted screw drive (if you held the inside nut while tightening the outside nut) the bearings have probably come loose and destroyed themselves. Don't ask how I know. Mine only made 500

steve terplak
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Holland 273 Pickup Tines flipping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For real?!
I just held the inside but...I will remove one to check them out...

Why inside nut vs slotted screw?
Just curious about the construction of them

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Holland 273 Pickup Tines flipping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bet the bearing track wore through. Happened to mine. Twice actually. I just took a strap iron and kinda shaped it best I could and welded it in there. Must have baled 25,000 bales since then. No problems.

Hay hay hay
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Holland 273 Pickup Tines flipping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I asked the same question of an experienced old equipment fellow. He showed me that the bearing has a dent where the inside nut is supposed to be pinned to the threads so that it does not move. But the pinning was very light and was broken by holding the inside nut while tightening. That is why these have the slot in the end for holding while tightening. News to me, I had never read that anywhere. It cost me a complete set of new bearings ruined.

Jar7120
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: New Holland 273 Pickup Tines flipping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Going to ask one stupid question. Have you had this baler since new? If someone had it before you it's possible on your one tine bar someone broke it, put a piece of pipe or round stock inside the tine pipe and pinned, or bolted the round stock to each side of the break to hold the 2 halves together.

We just dealt with this on the free 850 round round baler i got a few weeks ago. They were broken in the middle and this was done. The tubes were in rough shape. I found some salvage ones to put in it.

steve terplak
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Holland 273 Pickup Tines flipping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you. Going to check that out today. You might have saved me a whole bunch of parts chasing

steve terplak
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Holland 273 Pickup Tines flipping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So , I quick pulled the bearings...all seemed smooth, turned easy....so no dice on Hay Hay Hay?s suggestion. I was really hoping it was bad bearings...
I noticed there was some slack in the chain drive mechanism on the left side, outside the pickup chamber...I tightened that up (moved the slotted bolt) and balled a small load today with it...

Seemed to work ok.
We will see.

To answer previous questions: yes, original owner...
No work has ever been done to pickup besides replacing cam followers a couple months ago and replacing teeth over the years

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Holland 273 Pickup Tines flipping Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got to where our 430w ihc baler had no capacity. The pickup teeth weren't pushing hay far enough the auger and chamber filling teeth couldn't reach it. The bearings had worn out and then wore the cam plum threw. New bearings and made a new cam, real easy. Except getting the pickup off the baler. Must have started building the baler with the pickup and tied everything else to it.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters