Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

351 carb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenbob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: 351 carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Took my 351 on a 53 mile tractor ride yesterday. THe carb we had so much trouble with being lean is fixed. Have good power and smooth the tractor really goes. It runs smoothly at idle and under load, but when coasting or idling down there is lots of snap crackle and pop out the exhaust. Tried several adjustments on the carb but it hasn't seemed to help. Any advice?

Joe (Wa)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-kenbob wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:15:33 07/21/19) Took my 351 on a 53 mile tractor ride yesterday. THe carb we had so much trouble with being lean is fixed. Have good power and smooth the tractor really goes. It runs smoothly at idle and under load, but when coasting or idling down there is lots of snap crackle and pop out the exhaust. Tried several adjustments on the carb but it hasn't seemed to help. Any advice?

After fire in the exhaust is usually lean mixture.

kenbob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, At least I know which direction to go with the carb.

kenbob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

joe, would you know which needle is too lean--Power or Idle?

kevinthefixer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it's happening with the throttle butterfly closed, it's idle mix. A leaky exhaust manifold or gasket or headpipe can also cause that.

kenbob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I need to recheck the manifold. I switched it from up flow to down flow and used new gaskets but i am a chicken when it comes to tightening old stuff...especially manifold nuts or bolts. Really don't want to twist one of those off. I may need to feel for leaks and retighten.

kevinthefixer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: 351 carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hold a rag in the tailpipe while it's idling, or have someone else do that while you feel and listen.

kenbob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: 351 carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You probably nailed it. When I got the tractor last year I took it on a ride. It was lean then and had to run with the choke out. Since then we got the carb working by taking out the economizer valve and I did the change on the manifold from up to down. It ran great on short trips. I am guessing that is where the problem is. It probaby loosened up a little after some run time.

chuck machinist
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I feel your pain when it comes to torqueing intake and exhaust manifolds. Stay within the specs, and if it continues to leak , you resurface ,and or replace with a gasket. CM. Gremlins no longer live in my shop! But they live just outside the door.

Joe (Wa)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-chuck machinist wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:55:43 07/23/19) I feel your pain when it comes to torqueing intake and exhaust manifolds. Stay within the specs, and if it continues to leak , you resurface ,and or replace with a gasket. CM. Gremlins no longer live in my shop! But they live just outside the door.

Manifolds usually have brass nuts so not common to strip the threads on the ferrous stud but they tend to thermal flex at a different rate than the stud and require retorque. Torque is 30 ft lbs on 300 G148 engine, about normal for a small Case engines.

Joe

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters