Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

d-17 fuel guage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: d-17 fuel guage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pulled my fuel gage out. it all seems to be working okay but wont register in tank. still has the cork float thing on it. do they just go bad and how have you repaired yours. thanks norm

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: d-17 fuel guage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The float and gauge work due to a variable resister so one has to use a VOM to make sure the resistance goes up and down plus the wires from the gauge to the ignition all have to be in good shape and wired correctly

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: d-17 fuel guage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

this one is strickly mechanical. thanks norm

Jim.ME
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: d-17 fuel guage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes you can change the float, it may well be the problem if the needle moves when you move the float arm. I took a quick look and don't see any on this site's store. DJS Tractor is one that advertises floats for ACs. Ford model A gas gauge floats will work. Mikes A Ford-able has several options of Ford floats. I have used those (neoprene ones) in a couple ACs.

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: d-17 fuel guage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would guess the clip that keeps your float at the end of the rod has come loose or missing. You can buy new plastic floats and gaskets from DJS Parts. It is all mechanical, Old has it confused with the newer yet electric ones.
AaronSEIA

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: d-17 fuel guage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

went to the local agro dealer. 148 bucks for a new one. they don't just sell the cork. OUCH

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: d-17 fuel guage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AGCO may not, but the aftermarket world does. They also sell new gauges.
AaronSEIA

gatz271
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: d-17 fuel guage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's easy and doesn't cost much at all to replace the cork. You can buy the Ford float online or at an auto parts store.
IIRC, I had to carefully flatten out the end of the rod to get the old cork off and make the rod ~ 1/8" round
Then drill a hole for a cotter key.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: d-17 fuel guage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never had one of those AC gauges work right very long I went with a universal fuel gauge on all my tractors,piece of 3/8 pipe about 30" long.(LOL)

jim ball
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: d-17 fuel guage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

djs has them. look it over
djs

Jim.ME
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: d-17 fuel guage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Add Reliable Aftermarket to the places, already mentioned, having floats. And, the store for this site has a complete gauge for a bit less than 1/2 the AGCO price. I expect shipping will add a bit to that. Many others as well have either float or gauge, some both.

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: d-17 fuel guage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for the info. norm

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters