Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

7.3 powerstroke erratic in wet weather

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillinAZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: 7.3 powerstroke erratic in wet weather Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 2000 F250 diesel has apprx 215k miles will just cut out at highway cruise like someone rapidly turning the key off and on. Also, when at idle, it may just die. Either at a stop or when coasting down the driveway. Seems worse when the engine has not warmed up yet. This has happened several times, but only when the weather is rainy or really foggy-lots of moisture in the air. The other day, when this happened a couple of times on the highway, the service engine lite came on, but disappears at the next startup. (has done that before). Oil and filters are good. I suspect something electrical, because of moisture, but what. Local mechanic could not get any readout on his diagnostic, wants to spend some time checking fuses. Have not taken to the Ford dealer yet. Any ideas? Thanks.

ben brown
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.3 powerstroke erratic in wet weather Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well ant that a whipping mine does the same thing but like you said only during light or mist rain. but i finally figured out what was causing the problem .. you might try see if your is the same way.. mine only does it if i have the wiper running in the intermittent setting work fine if you have the wiper on full run in slow med. or fast but you drop it to the intermittent setting it like you said some one turned off key back on real fast check engine light come on then go off long as you stay up to speed it run but idle down at stop light i dies but restarts i have new wiper swith for mine but just have not had the time to put it on check see if that your problem let me know ben

RustyR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.3 powerstroke erratic in wet weather Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a recall on this problem for having a bad cam sensor. Some then had the plugin damaged from a bonehead not being careful unplugging it causing the same problem. I'd start there, might still get it for free. I'd also look at the heater wire in the fuel filter housing. Lot of them would break loose & short out now & then.

ben brown
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.3 powerstroke erratic in wet weather Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the cam sensor was replaced wiring checked it been doing this now for dam near two years anly time it does it is if i run the wipers on intermittent setting

T in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.3 powerstroke erratic in wet weather Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Third brake light working?
Somehow when it's out, it can cause all
kinds of goofy things to happen, including
with the wipers.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.3 powerstroke erratic in wet weather Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This issue is all over the Internet, seems like a lot of people have same issue, relates to wipers on intermittent.

495man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 7.3 powerstroke erratic in wet weather Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 2000 7.3 used to cut out with the wipers on on a wet day.

Never did it while driving, just after starting and pulling away while turning wipers on.

I believe it was a cam sensor issue. Truck is gone now.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters