Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

farmall b oil passages

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmnebr
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: farmall b oil passages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

got the head off of my farmall b with a 6 volt bat. will the starter spin it fast enough
to squirt oil out of the oil passages ??

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: farmall b oil passages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It should but if it doesn't one can always put in a 12 volt battery for extra fast spinning and not hurt any thing

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: farmall b oil passages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why??? Are the rockers dry?

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: farmall b oil passages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is only one passage to the head. it is a cam journal pulsed shot of small size and no squirting. Center of block to the center rocker arm bolt. Jim

lmnebr
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: farmall b oil passages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

got this tractor from a 86 yr. old gent. said it ran within the last yr. he used
30w non det. oil that is what the book said. results are as you would expect .
3 cyl. with stuk valves and gunk all over. the tractor is on a acerage without
any buildings or elect. also 20 mi. from this computer I have the head at a shop to get
it fixed .at this time I can sell the tires for what i have in it. I got it to use not to restore .BTW i dont think the old gent. lyed to me. he just lost track of time.
I know because i am 84 and i do the same thing.

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: farmall b oil passages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All the detrimental crude will be mostly on the bottom of the oil pan, that will come off pretty easy,put in some detergent oil and run it with the valve cover off, and a oil can, till the rocker's get oil ! And clean the screen on the oil pump, it will be crusted over !

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: farmall b oil passages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes but the oil will flow the easiest way an open port

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: farmall b oil passages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

u are better off to just let it drain out than trying to squirt it out.

Why put the head back on without cleaning gunk out?

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: farmall b oil passages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A coat hanger wire (nice and straight) can be used to poke out the passage to the head. The wire will go in till it hits the cam. If you carefully rotate the engine (very slowly) you will feel the hole in the cam that feeds the head. Don't turn it with the wire in the hole!!! Jim

Ken Hansen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: farmall b oil passages Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree on dropping the pan and cleaning it and the oil pump. The more gunk you can get out before installing the head the better it will be for the engine.

Also the 12 volts would be a good idea to get the flow going before installing the head. I converted my BN to 12 volts something like 30 years ago and that 6 volt starter is still going strong.

Just don't crank it for several minutes at a time. If the oil pump is working should only need several seconds to start to see some flow. Just don't expect it to shoot six feet in the air!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters