Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jackangel wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:21:46 09/10/19)
Thanks for all your replies. So i hope my gently hand paper sanding in the spot shown in the picutre wont create any damage... Crying or Very sad

I don't think it will (on the spot you circled), if anything you only knocked down any tiny high spots, and some burrs along the edge.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks to all.

I will go for Scothcx brite fine polishing then. Main issue are the gunk / marks on thge cyl#3 parent bore.. you can really feel the grooves by putting your finger on them..

I am not planning to replace the camshaft, or in your option should I go for a new one? The lift pump is correctly operated by this despite the pit caused by years of operation (7000hs)

I do think I ll be going for original PERKINS spares (finished liners), I shown the damaged piston #1 to a local MF / Perkins dealer and in his opinion that damage (cavity on the piston side and footprint on sleeve) has been generated by a faulty injector operations which does not spray correctly so to get an atomised flow

Back to head gasket I am asking if an non setting compote , as Hylomar Universal blue is, is suggested to be smeared over the new head gaskets. Also here your suggestion would be appreciated a lot!

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You really can't do anything about the grooves, I would just clean it up a bit with scotch brite. Scotch brite is only going to remove anything that is already loose which is all you need to really do.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depending on what the head gasket is made of the instructions should say if you are to use a sealer on it.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you mean scotch brite equivalent >1000 grit?

I am purchasing genuine PERKINS head gasket.. should be copper made.. so I think putting some non setting sealant would no be harmful...

what about camshaft pit at lift pump?

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you replace the camshaft then you have to replace the lifters also, the cam lobes, and lifters have to bed into each other. Old lifters on a new can either wear the cam lobe (or the lifter) out quick.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you Ptfarmer for answering. So I ll keep this camshaft then.

As I am planning next step I am now really into the re-installation guidelines contained in the workshop manual.

- I would then put in the chiller the new service liners and use the flat bar as suggested. What about using the same puller pad I used for sleeving the old liners out?
-

- Conrod locking nuts. I see in the torques spec attached there are different settings according to nuts type (cadmium coated, phospateted).. which ones does my engin run according to this picture?
-

- Conrodss report the code 31337540 and a wording NAW with a code I cannot clearly read.. I do guess they are OEM ones.
-

- I am also replacing the conrods small end bushes as well as gudgeon pins I ll just press them out? Any suggestion on alternative methods or tips?

- Once I ll have fitted new service liners it I am check the relation of them to top face of bock which is specified to be + / - 0,004" (0,1mm) should it be better to have them up / down in relation to block surface?

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't use the puller, you need the flat bar that covers all the top of the sleeve. If the sleeves are chilled enough they might (but rarely) go all the way in on their own but I'd have the flat bar ready.

On the liners my MF shop manual says Flush to 0.004 in below the deck for the ad3.152.

As for as the rod nuts I would see about getting new ones since they are self locking nuts.

After pressing in the new bushings in the rods they will probably need to be reamed to size for proper clearance to the wrist pin.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thx again Wink

Got the point of the flat bar and i ll do so

By googling i found out my nuts are cadmium plated version..
I do not see any lip nor flange in them and they came out smmotlhy all the way so i thought they were not self locking..

Can i leave the sleeve chilling for some days or is it bad?

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can let the sleeves chill as much as you want, they are only going to get so cold. You may want to keep a eye on the sleeves while they are chilling just to make sure they don't start to possibly rust. If you can get a ice chest with some dry ice to chill the sleeves the dry ice will get them colder than a freezer will unless you have a really good freezer (which can help them go in easier).

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL the freezer i've have is the one for the beef Laughing Laughing

I'll look for dry ice then...

I did not know small end bushes do not come already to size.. Sad

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

... then how do i polish the head - valve seats? scotch brite also here?

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you press the bushings in they get a little smaller on the inside. On the combustion chambers in the head I would wire wheel all the carbon off, then I would take the all the valves, and lap them to make sure that they still set good in the valve seats so they seal good.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters