Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Parts rant.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimg.allentown
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am always reading posters telling of their experiences with NAPA regarding odd parts and the like. Then there are the issues of quality. Some seem to think that paying more gets you a better part or one of higher quality.

So far, I have TRIED to do business with the local NAPA store, but my experience has been dismal. When I was working on an engine, I needed some internal parts. They had none in stock, but could order them at twice the price of the local Advance (who, by the way, had them in stock). When I needed a special tool to complete a repair job, I once again turned to NAPA and was again disappointed. I ended up getting it online.

These are but a few of my experiences with NAPA. Most others are either priced too high or just simply not in stock.

Yesterday, I needed a little peanut bulb for my license plate light for inspection. Auto Zone sells them in a package of 2 for a highly inflated price. So, once again, I went to NAPA to just get a box of them. Once again, they did not have what I needed. I'm not sure why I even go into that store any more. They have been about as useful to me as a burned out light bulb.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NAPA has really gone down hill there last few years. We have a NAPA store down here. They had a lady running it. That could find you anything you wanted. They fired her and hired a bunch of idiots. They couldn't find the part. Even if you put it front of them.

docmirror
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whew, I thought I was the only one, or the only store. I used to make NAPA my first stop for all kinds of stuff. They did find the right front brakes and rotors for my Revcon MH(Hint, they are NOT Olds parts). But in the past couple years, it's a lot more miss, and a lot less hit. Prices are also non-competitive.

I don't give them much future.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They're all a little different.

Just depends on who's running it.

There is one close to work, I've used them a few times. They were efficient at finding the part, could have it there in a reasonable time if not in stock. One thing they will do is make an effort to help with an odd part, like for a tractor or lift truck. That will not happen at Orelies. Their prices are comparable with the competition.

The one reason I don't go there often, their location. VERY difficult to get out of their parking lot because of the extreme traffic congestion and rude drivers.

There is another NAPA in a neighboring town. Worst one I've ever been in! Dirty, disorganized. Never have what I want, don't care attitude. If you ain't there to spit, cuss, and heehaw with the locals, don't bother them with your troubles!

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The majority of NAPA stores are independently owned. So the quality of the business varies widely location to location.

From what I am seeing around here parts stores are splitting into two different formats.
1) Stores set up to handle the bargain buyer, shade tree mechanic. These would be your Auto Zone and Advanced Auto type of stores. They are going to carry the cheap/low quality parts and have a pretty large retail area filled with impulse buy stuff. You will find few of the people working there stay long as they are low paid.

2) Stores set up to service repair shops. They will often have very limited retail space in the store. They want the repair shops to online order the parts and then deliver them on a route. These stores usually carry a wide range of quality of parts. From the cheap to the good. Employees are usually a little better skilled but once again not very highly paid. Local fellows are making $16-17 an hour after being there for over 10 years. The good ones often leave for better jobs.

r.w.b.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our napa has a huge parts inventory,most everything i need is in stock.
But the owner has 5 huge industrial accounts.i needed a valve cover for my 411B case.4 in stock,generator brush springs for my 630 john deere in stock. Owner and location dictates i suppose

sms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our local NAPA stores are all owned by one person(5-6 stores), the service is pretty good and if they don't have a part in one store they might in another and will have it in a few hours.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NAPA in my area has always been more into selling to businesses and repair shops over walk in retail.They have layers of prices when I worked at the concrete plant we got 40% off
retail price on most things.Worked good for me one of the salesmen would give me the company price on parts so I didn't have to run it thru the company account.

Louis A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jimg.allentown wrote:
I am always reading posters telling of their experiences with NAPA regarding odd parts and the like. Then there are the issues of quality. Some seem to think that paying more gets you a better part or one of higher quality.

So far, I have TRIED to do business with the local NAPA store, but my experience has been dismal. When I was working on an engine, I needed some internal parts. They had none in stock, but could order them at twice the price of the local Advance (who, by the way, had them in stock). When I needed a special tool to complete a repair job, I once again turned to NAPA and was again disappointed. I ended up getting it online.

These are but a few of my experiences with NAPA. Most others are either priced too high or just simply not in stock.

Yesterday, I needed a little peanut bulb for my license plate light for inspection. Auto Zone sells them in a package of 2 for a highly inflated price. So, once again, I went to NAPA to just get a box of them. Once again, they did not have what I needed. I'm not sure why I even go into that store any more. They have been about as useful to me as a burned out light bulb.

N ever

A ny

P arts

A vailable

OregonAaron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Napa is the only parts store in about a 100 miles of me. It's either napa or the internet... ours is okay, but definitely not like the napas were 20 years ago.

Married2Allis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm seeing this too at local NAPAs and other places, not restocking. Some competing autoparts stores like Pepboys, AUtozone may fill the gap -- but all all of the 'brick and mortar' stores are feeling the impacts from Amazon and online ordering. Price for 2 peanut bulbs I just bought were $8 local vs. $6 online shipped.

chcase
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very few Napa stores are company stores.Most are owned privately.I worked for one owned by a company and then one owned by a private person.He owned three stores.Any store is only as good as the person waiting on you.The owner sets the profit margin he wants.They have excess to about 3 levels of parts.Cheap to Top of the line.Way to many owners only want to hire someone that will work cheap.A good counter person is hard to find and is worth their weight in gold.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Or anyone that knows how to find them.

300jk
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Parts rant. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have 2 napa parts stores within near me in opposite directions. The closer of the 2 usually doesnt have what i need. The other is where the company i work for gets a lot of parts. Both independently owned. I get the co.pany discount at the store farther away. Their regional warehouse is about 45 minutes away, so if you call in the morning you can usually have your parts in the afternoon. As far as quality i have not noticed a difference between different parts places on things i have bought.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters