Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Solenoid Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimWalsh
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Solenoid Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a new one for me. Recently, my starter wouldn't engage, only spin. So, I took it off, took it apart, and cleaned it all up, cleaned the bendix etc, as it was pretty sticky. That solved the problem, until today.

Now, my tractor will not run, unless I keep the solenoid crossed with a screwdriver. The starter button will not engage the starter. As soon as I remove the screwdriver, the tractor quits. It seems the opposite of a bad solenoid, and it's got me stumped.

I've taken everything off, sanded down all the contacts, sanded the spot where the solenoid contacts the frame etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

rvirgil_KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Solenoid Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what tractor? How many wires on solenoid? Is it getting power through the start button?

JimWalsh
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Solenoid Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a TEA 2085.

Starter button is dead. There are 5 wires to the solenoid.

Thanks

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Solenoid Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a Ferguson TEA-20 12 Volt electrical schematic.

Is your TEA-2085 the same?. Different?

Starter is energized when gear shift is placed in the "S" MODE. and starter switch closes...

Bob. Owner TEA-20

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Solenoid Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I checked ..you had a post "Electrical Trouble".....

I urge you, try and share a picture or two of your tractor.......your post "Electrical Trouble" causes me to believe some one may have made modifications to your TEA Ferguson START Circuit???

Bob...Owner TEA-20 Ferguson....4 cylinder Standard Engine....Coventry England..

JimWalsh
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Solenoid Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks will do. I should have clarified, I have a push button starter switch, I don't use the gear shift.

Appreciate the help, thanks!

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Solenoid Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what I'm gathering here, sounds like the power to the ignition switch may have been lost.

There should be a small wire, commonly attached to the solenoid under the cable from the battery, that feeds the rest of the electrical system.

If it was connected under the starter cable instead of the battery cable, it will act as you describe.

JimWalsh
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Solenoid Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[img]

[/img]

JimWalsh
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Solenoid Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay yesterday I spent a couple of hours taking the wiring connections apart, making sure everything is clean etc. Put things back together, and I've still got the same problem. I bench tested the solenoid to make sure it clicks when a positive lead is applied, which it does.

I tested the starter button with my meter, and it gets zero power. Could it be as simple as moving the wire to the harness to the post with the positive battery lead?

Can anyone see anything wrong with that wiring to the solenoid, I'd be most grateful. This stuff only happens when winter is coming. This thing has ran perfectly for several years. I just have to get this figured out.

Thanks

[img]

[/img]

JimWalsh
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Solenoid Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't believe I hooked those leads up backwards!!

I'll blame getting old, but man, that's an incredibly stupid mistake. Thanks for all your help!

JimWalsh
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Solenoid Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By the way, here is a very good wiring diagram I found on the web for a 12v neg ground system.

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Solenoid Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this schematic.:)

When the Starter Engauge's the Flywheel / Ring Gear on your TEA-20...is it possible for the engine to start and run, with the Transmission in gear?

I know of the above happening when a Neighbor started his TEA-20 with a 2 bottom 3 point hitch plough attached. Plough removed the Grill and Radiator from his pickup...

Bob.... Owner TEA-2 Ferguson.....and other colored Tractors...

rvirgil_KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Solenoid Issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Replied to wrong post..sorry.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters