Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Self Fusing Electrical tape

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I brought this up in a thread about repairing an electrical cord. Note: All precautions for proper use of electrical equipment should be observed. I suggested self fusing electrical tape. I acquired some for a specific project that I had and found that it is nearly miraculous in how it works. It is silicone based, and once you stretch it over itself it is fused and you can't pull it off. Provided that you are able to get it securely bonded to the surface that you are applying it to it is going to be as waterproof as is possible. Note: this is not intended to apply to the repair of equipment that is used by OSHA regulated employees.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where do you buy Self Fusing Electrical tape?

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like some stuff I got at Rural King. I think they called it rescue tape ? I could not buy new boots for the tie rods on my JD5105 so I wrapped them up with that self sealing tape. Has been holding up well.

RM-MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Amazon, Home Depot, Ebay for a few. It seems to be a mainstream product available at a number of outlets.

2510Paul
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Showcrop, that was me posting about the cord. I had never
hear of it, so I learned something. I also appreciate your
posting about your experience with it. I found some at both
NAPA and ACE.

I hope to try it later today. I also refreshed my can of Liquid
Electrical Tape and got a larger diameter Heat Shrink.

Thanks.

Paul

2510Paul
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am planning to lay down a layer of liquid tape in the cut and covering with either Self-Fusing tape or Heat Shrink.

Paul

timcasbolt
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Geo-TH,In wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:24:57 10/09/19) Where do you buy Self Fusing Electrical tape?

I've learned something today, and have an application that's been bothering me for a while.
Walmart sells a small roll for under six bucks. Duck brand.

MJMJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought some about 15 years ago for a specific project. Didn't really work for that, but it works remarkably well for projects where you don't need the tape to adhere to the object.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Amazon thinks a lot of their self fusing tape.

JeremyR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Search for "self amalgamating tape"

NC Wayne
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It also works to make a temp repair on a
radiator hose.

Had a customer's truck blow a special,
molded, S shaped, line on his dump truck,
leaving him stranded on the interstate.
Nobody had a line in stock, and he was
looking at a sizable tow bill. I wrapped
the hose end to end, and put it back on.
He left the cap loose so it didn't build
any pressure, but he was able to drive it
nearly 60 miles to get it home, without
any problems.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have limited experience with self-fusing tape. First roll I ever got was made in USA and cost a fortune - this was probably 15+ years ago. About 2 years ago, I ordered a 12-pack of 1" x 36' from Amazon. This stuff was made in China.

With the older (USA) tape, it literally worked like magic. This newer stuff is OK. It works well sometimes, but not so well other times. Have to keep all of it clean. If you get it oily or dirty, it hurts adhesion.

With either of these, the main thing is to stretch the tape in order to achieve maximum adhesion. As the rubber tries to retract while gripping the layer underneath, it somehow activates and makes the strongest bond it can.

MJMJ made a good point - this tape doesn't normally stick to anything but itself. If you're applying to a rubber or soft plastic, then you might get lucky and the tape will make a mild bond with the repair, but normally only bonds to itself.

If you need to ensure that the tape makes the best bond possible, and if you won't crush anything you shouldn't, you can also take pliers and squeeze the tape once applied. That will also help the layers bond together. Be careful that the teeth on your pliers don't cut through the top layer of fusible tape.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 3M number escapes me but it is called self-vulcanizing tape.It is a thicker tape used to build up stress cones.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used it on my old car to cover the wiring harness to make it look new.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Self Fusing Electrical tape Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 3M number is 130C . All wraps fuse together to make one thick tape.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters