Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Part for a no 5 Big Sickle

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toddmac66
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Howdy, I have a no. 5 Big Sickle mower I am working on as a piece of yard art basically. It s missing the outer guard and I would like to have one so I can put the grass board on there as well. Anyone have any tips on finding a guard? I have searched online anywhere I can think of. Thanks!

wore out
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with a "no 5 Big Sickle".

Not sure if you mean a John Deere #4 drawn mower, a John Deere #5 tractor mounted nower, or some other mower of some other brand???

If a John Deere # 5, the out shoe is still available from DEERE, if a #4, out shoe is nla, but I'd suspect an outer shoe for a #5 could be adapted to fit.

What'cha got?

Toddmac66
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-wore out wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:58:08 10/07/19) I'm not familiar with a "no 5 Big Sickle".

Not sure if you mean a John Deere #4 drawn mower, a John Deere #5 tractor mounted nower, or some other mower of some other brand???

If a John Deere # 5, the out shoe is still available from DEERE, if a #4, out shoe is nla, but I'd suspect an outer shoe for a #5 could be adapted to fit.

What'cha got?

Sorry, not sure where I came up with the 5 lol, it s a no. 4 Big Sickle. I will see if I can learn anything about using the no 5 part instead. Thanks!

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

McCormick is the No 4 or Big 4 mower, Open gear horse drawn type.

Kevin Happke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So are you looking for a JD 4 or IHC 4 do you have a part Number I may have one of each.....

Hay maker2
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do not have any parts, but I do have all of the Horse Drawn mower that Dain & Deere built, if you need pictures I can help you out.

Toddmac66
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Kevin Happke wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:54:27 10/07/19) So are you looking for a JD 4 or IHC 4 do you have a part Number I may have one of each.....

According to my manual it s a Z 5231H for the "regular " sickle bar. Looks like it changes based on the crop type. I don t mind adapting one to fit if it s reasonably close. It s just a cosmetic thing for me, the bar looks like it s missing something without it there and I wouldn t mind adding the grass board as well.

Toddmac66
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you Hay maker2. I just got a parts manual for it the other day in hopes knowing the exact number would help. Thank you for posting it though!

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We still do not know if you have a John Deere or a McCormick or some other make of mower. That said for what you are wanting that end shoe could be put on from any brand or model of mower to do what you are wanting, just might have to drill a couple of holes. John Deere never had a model No 5 Big Sickle There No 5 was just a semi mount tractor mower, They had a Big 4 Horse drawn mower and McCormick had a No. 4 and a Big 4 in horse drawn mowers, they never had a moder with a model of 5 in it. Now I think Case had a No. 5 Horse drawn mower. So what do you actually have? A Big 4 Deere can have a retail value of up to a thousand dollars or more. The McCormick No. 4 and Big 4 mowers are older with a lot less retail value.

Toddmac66
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Leroy wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:55:37 10/08/19) We still do not know if you have a John Deere or a McCormick or some other make of mower. That said for what you are wanting that end shoe could be put on from any brand or model of mower to do what you are wanting, just might have to drill a couple of holes. John Deere never had a model No 5 Big Sickle There No 5 was just a semi mount tractor mower, They had a Big 4 Horse drawn mower and McCormick had a No. 4 and a Big 4 in horse drawn mowers, they never had a moder with a model of 5 in it. Now I think Case had a No. 5 Horse drawn mower. So what do you actually have? A Big 4 Deere can have a retail value of up to a thousand dollars or more. The McCormick No. 4 and Big 4 mowers are older with a lot less retail value.

I couldn t correct my original post but I did in a reply, it s a John Deere no 4 Big Sickle. If I am understanding things right, there is a shoe which I can still get, but my main goal is to locate the outer guard that the grassboard attaches to.

Toddmac66
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I confused things for folks by calling it a no 5. It is a John Deere no 4 Big Sickle horse drawn mower.

[/img]

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The part you are looking for is called an outer shoe.

The outer shoe for your mower, regardless of the model, is the same one that fits the No. 3 mower, No. 5 mower, and No. 39 mower.

I have interchanged the outer shoe on all three of these mowers.

Outer Shoe History:
Z-487 No. 1 and No. 2 mowers
Z-532H No. 3 (No. 1 and No. 2 cutter bars are the same as No. 3 cutter bars.)
Z532 No. 4 mower
Z 532 No. 5 mower
Z 532H No. 7 mower
AH 13580 H No. 8 and No. 9 mowers (Substitute for Z 532H)
AH 13580 H No. 10 mower
AH 13580 H No. 11 mower
AH 13580 No. 37, 38, and 39 mowers

Best way to find one is to contact David from Kansas on this forum or John Deere forum.

Hope this helps.

Toddmac66
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-James Howell wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:11:59 10/09/19) The part you are looking for is called an outer shoe.

The outer shoe for your mower, regardless of the model, is the same one that fits the No. 3 mower, No. 5 mower, and No. 39 mower.

I have interchanged the outer shoe on all three of these mowers.

Outer Shoe History:
Z-487 No. 1 and No. 2 mowers
Z-532H No. 3 (No. 1 and No. 2 cutter bars are the same as No. 3 cutter bars.)
Z532 No. 4 mower
Z 532 No. 5 mower
Z 532H No. 7 mower
AH 13580 H No. 8 and No. 9 mowers (Substitute for Z 532H)
AH 13580 H No. 10 mower
AH 13580 H No. 11 mower
AH 13580 No. 37, 38, and 39 mowers

Best way to find one is to contact David from Kansas on this forum or John Deere forum.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! I will reach out David and see if he may have it.

Toddmac66
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well shoot, The PM function doesn t work and there isn t an email listed for David.

wore out
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Part for a no 5 Big Sickle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Toddmac66 wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:23:05 10/09/19)
Well shoot, The PM function doesn t work and there isn t an email listed for David.

The shoe and subsole are still readily available from DEERE, by REALLY pricey.

If you GOOGLE AH13580, lots of sources will come up, including Walt's Tractors who shows a used one for $75.

You will also need the "runner" that goes beneath it, Z5231H, replaced by AE31366, he shows that, as well.

If no luck, post back, I can dig one up for 'ya!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters