Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

2n steering wheel removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FWB in SK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: 2n steering wheel removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Want to remove hood but should remove steering wheel. Don't have proper puller. Lots of other pullers. Is there a homemade
one some one has plans for or how to rig a 3 jaw puller to make it work.

flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2n steering wheel removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not sure what you are asking. You don't need to pull the steering wheel to remove the hood but you should get a helper to help guide and lift it. You should also drain the gas to reduce the weight and don't forget to remove the fuel line. I hope this helps. I was able to pull the steering wheel from my 8n with a 3 jaw puller (if I remember correctly) after soaking with PB Blaster.

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2n steering wheel removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"You don't need to pull the steering wheel to remove the hood"

to my recollection, it's not a big deal when you're removing the hood, but it sure would help a lot when you're putting it back on.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2n steering wheel removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

See tips 12 & 73.

I know for a fact that you do not need to remove the steering wheel to get the hood off on an 8N.

I'm pretty sure you do need to remove it on a 2 & 9N.....just wait a minute and someone who has done it lately will answer the question.
75 Tips

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2n steering wheel removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used a 3 jaw puller with the jaws removed.
Be careful not to damage the shaft. You will likely need a new nut.
This picture is of a Jubilee, but it works the same.

FWB in SK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2n steering wheel removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is a good idea. Thanks

TimInd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2n steering wheel removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Darn ! why didn't I think of that ?

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2n steering wheel removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the same method a Royse. Just take the gear puller arms off a bolt direct. Because the 9n/2n steering column sits a bit lower than the 8n it is more difficult to remove the hood. It can be done with two people but it's a lot easier with the steering wheel removed.

TimInd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2n steering wheel removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I too was able to remove the steering wheel from my old 2n by sharpening the jaws of a small, 3 prong puller.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters