Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob kuczynski
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i had a new thermostat put in after realizing i never had one at all.
tractor runs at 200-230 during peak usage. good? bad? no signs of over boiling. all seems secure.
its just my gas tank is still making my gas bubble. seems pretty hot to me up on top.
ideas?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bob kuczynski wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:59:51 10/14/19) i had a new thermostat put in after realizing i never had one at all.
tractor runs at 200-230 during peak usage. good? bad? no signs of over boiling. all seems secure.
its just my gas tank is still making my gas bubble. seems pretty hot to me up on top.
ideas?
what degree is thermostat? what temp was it running before thermostat installed?

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Too hot! Maybe a timing issue. Maybe a cooling system issue of some kind.

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

200 wouldn't bother me, but 230 sure would.

bob kuczynski
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

its a 173.
same temp with or without.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First step is to verify that the temperature gauge is accurate.

Dean

bob kuczynski
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

aha!
jut went out and looked at the gauge cold. its stuck on 190.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bob kuczynski wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:51:55 10/14/19) aha!
jut went out and looked at the gauge cold. its stuck on 190.
exactly why I asked the question.

bob kuczynski
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok, so next would be a fix for gas bubbling in the tank. i dont see a heat shield under the tank. is it missing?

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes. There should be a heat shield between the muffler and fuel tank. You do need it.

Verify correct ignition timing and proper operation of the mechanical advance mechanism.

Avoid gasoline with ethanol if at all possible.

Dean

bob kuczynski
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

timing is perfect.
87 oct ethenol is all i got in this area. im using gas additive STABIL since tractor sits for some time off season.

bob kuczynski
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there is a shield over the muffler exhuast pipe. its the tank itself exposed to the valve cover area that im suspect of.

bob kuczynski
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bob kuczynski
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

any addictive you suggest to mix in ethanol gas to make it run cooler?

RayJohnson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bob kuczynski wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:09:05 10/16/19) there is a shield over the muffler exhuast pipe. its the tank itself exposed to the valve cover area that im suspect of.

It's hard for me to believe the heat from the motor is boiling the gas in your tank... (if that's what you're suggesting)

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters