Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Replacing Pivot Balls In Lift Arms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottNC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Replacing Pivot Balls In Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the past I've cut off worn 3-point lift arm ends and welded on new ones. Tractor Supply has the pivot balls by themselves. Got me to thinking, the factory crimp on the lower lift arm ends are giving up on one of my tractors. I think implement side load in the past did the damage. Neither the arms or the balls are worn that bad, it's just the crimp has giving way to the point the balls are about to come out.

Is it practical to re-peen/crimp the balls?

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Pivot Balls In Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This picture was shared on "YT" by a fellow YT'ER...credits to the individual? who left this pic......

Bob..

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Pivot Balls In Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The way I do them if take a big washer and weld it on. Yes you do have to hammer it a bit so it fits like it should but not all that hard to do.

fixt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Pivot Balls In Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ScottNC wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:08:21 11/04/19) In the past I've cut off worn 3-point lift arm ends and welded on new ones. Tractor Supply has the pivot balls by themselves. Got me to thinking, the factory crimp on the lower lift arm ends are giving up on one of my tractors. I think implement side load in the past did the damage. Neither the arms or the balls are worn that bad, it's just the crimp has giving way to the point the balls are about to come out.

Is it practical to re-peen/crimp the balls?

Replacing the lift sockets is questionable depending on how they are made.

Some are just a thick washer like lip welded on to the lift bar and you take a grinder of some type and cut it off. The socket falls out. Replace the socket and weld the washer thing back on.
Done.

Others and I think some New Holland were like this... had a groove cut into the lift socket on both sides, and would only go in one way. You had to finagle them out and replace with new ones, and naturally these were more expensive sockets.

The last kind I'm familiar with is the old forged in kind. Not replaceable by any easy method. You might could heat and beat the lip like Dad did to keep from losing it and close it up a bit.
It takes quite a bit of heat and some serious directed framming on it.

fixt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Pivot Balls In Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I meant to add that most of the ones I've replaced for people were the round weld in types that consists of the round part you weld in and the lift socket.
Like this... well dangit I can't get it to link but search google for Speeco lift ball sockets and you'll see the images for the type I'm talking about.

ScottNC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Pivot Balls In Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It looks like removing the old and welding on new replacement ends is the way to go.

Moonlite37
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Pivot Balls In Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have done it that way also. Last summer did the drag link on lawn mower that way tight as new. I am not the only thing tight!

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Pivot Balls In Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What book Is that from

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Pivot Balls In Lift Arms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quote:
What book Is that from

I have no idea........I believe one of the "YT" members from Australia shared this info a while back....?

Bob..

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters