Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blksmok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Estate auction in west central Wisconsin. All of the tractors were sold as non-running, but most of them only needed minor attention to get them running. Auctioneer did not want to spend the time and expense to get them to running condition. Looked like the owner ran out of time or interest to keep them in running condition. 1960 JD730 diesel being converted to electric start $2530, 1957 JD 720 diesel pony start $2145, 1952 JD 60 $635, 1951 JD R $3465, 1951 JD A $660, 1950 JD G $2035, 1948 JD B $550, 1947 JD D $800 and 1945 JD H $1485. They were all decent tractors, no junk, that just needed some attention.

tlock0331
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you remember the name of the auction company?

Richard in Bee
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is no shortage of these stories where a guy spends his life collecting and restoring tractors. Then when it comes time to sell out, he or his heirs hire some local auctioneer who only advertises in the local paper and they sell the tractors for only slightly over scrap price.
I always tell people that if your auction ad gets one more person to attend who goes there and nods his head twice and then goes home without so much as having bought a hot dog at the concession stand, it will pay for you ad.

Dan in Ohio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where were deals like that while I was in the hunt? Seems like parts tractors used to bring more than some of those brought. You know when you see odd selling dollar amounts that the auctioneer really had to work for every thing he got. Have been to auctions where the auctioneer would not take a bid unless it was increased by $250 or more. Thanks for posting, always interested in current auction results.

Blksmok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was an on line auction than spanned 3 weeks. The auction company was Hines Auctions in Ellsworth Wi. Jeff Hines runs the operation. There was another on line auction last year that had 15 2 cylinders that had not run for some time. Owner was in a nursing home and the auction company hired an older guy to get them all running. New batteries, fresh gas, carb cleaning, tire fixing and miscellaneous repairs. The guy told me he worked for 11 days dragging the tractors out of tight storage and working on one at a time to get them to the point of starting and running decent. He got 14 of them to the point where bidders could hear them run and #15 had a stuck engine. Lots of work and dollars spent and the tractors still went relatively cheap. I think the prices are a reflection of the generational change where the guys who grew up on 2 cylinders have passed on or are getting close to it. If the 2 cylinder tractor is a "garden variety" w/o special options, an unique serial number, professional restoration or new tires......the market in this area is "soft".

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Onsite auction or online auction, no matter if you do not get the word out.

JD Dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Selling can always be a challenge no matter how good your auctioneer is. The auctioneer is no going to do the legwork to make the tractors better. That's the owner's responsibility. The auctioneer may go into the sale distressed if the merchandise is not running, dirty and needs parts, etc. On the other hand an auction with nice running stuff, clean and complete could bring twice the price. Buyers get an instant impression when they see the whole sale offering in person and say, "Here's good merchandise, I see it's been cared for," and will offer a higher price.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those prices are just plain sad. I know scrap prices are way down, but still.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Prices are down on 1920 s, 1930 s, 1940 s and 1950 s vehicle s too. Anybody that used to own one or had an attachment for such vehicles . They are either dead or unable to purchase such a vehicle due to $$$, health or their residence .

DJB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just look at the Mecum auction this past Wednesday (Davenport). It's dumbfounding how insanely cheap those tractors went for. You would be thousands ahead if you would have purchased there.

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/davenport-november-tractor-2019/lots/tractors/11/06/

Blksmok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dave...I agree with you 100%. Why should the auctioneer put his money at risk when there is no assurance of the return. I think at this auction there was not a family member capable of getting all the tractors running. Sell them as is and get what you get for them. I know the prices seemed low, but when you look at the time and money required to get them mechanically sound you would be close to the normal market prices.

mdross
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Watching the auctions and seeing what these beautifully restored two cylinder tractors sell for can be gut wrenching thinking about how much I have in my two tractors 60 and 70. I restored both and put a huge amount more than those tractors sold for not counting my labor.

Blksmok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 2 Cyl Auction Prices Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Consider yourself fortunate that you only own/restored two Smile

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters