Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tea 20 engine jamming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stsew
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Tea 20 engine jamming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good Day.
My Tea 20 engine jams at slow rotation while turning with the hand crank. If I rotate it quickly it does not jam. Once it is jammed I have to reverse direction (flywheel backwards) to unjam it. I have removed the engine, starter, distributer and front case. Governor weights are in place. When it rotates it moves fine but when it jams it is solid. Any suggestions before I tear this engine apart? Steve

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tea 20 engine jamming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not enough info. Why did you crank slow? What happened before this? It ran how? When did it happen originally? How did it come about?
Did you pull the plugs? Sticking valve?
Others will chime in shortly with vastly more experience than I have.

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tea 20 engine jamming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remove inspection plate / Inlet oil pump screen...view the interior of the oil pan / engine...

Bob..

stsew
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tea 20 engine jamming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought this tractor in this condition. Thought it was seized but found it wasn't once I turned this engine backwards then forward again. As mentioned before, when I rotate it quickly with the handcrank it moves fine continually through many revolution. Once I stop then rotate the engine slowly it jams. Seems to have good compression so I don't think its a valve issue.

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tea 20 engine jamming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Valve sticks open and the piston hits it and closes it for you. . .
Had an AMC 345(?) engine that did that once upon a time. I was surprised the valve didn't get bent.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tea 20 engine jamming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check valve springs for breaks or loose/missing collets. Rocker gear for loose tappet or broken thrust spring .

Ron(Ont)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tea 20 engine jamming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try cranking it slowly with all 4 spark plugs removed. It may be just the compression that is stopping you.

stsew
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tea 20 engine jamming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have removed the spark plugs and the valves, springs, etc. seem to operate normally. Going to remove the head today to eliminate that area.

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tea 20 engine jamming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

99.99% of the time...if the liners are NOT secured...they shall move vertically when Crank is rotated...then bottom sealing rings MUST be replaced...coolant always leaks into oil pan...

Bob...Owner TEA-20..

Jim L WA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tea 20 engine jamming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Really? Did you read everything he said?

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tea 20 engine jamming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look at the crank thrust bearing.

Is the flywheel still on? Broken starter drive pieces caught behind the flywheel?

stsew
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tea 20 engine jamming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pulled the head today. Found one bent pushrod. Upon investigation found the tappets (pushrod buckets) in no 2 cylinder seized or moving very little. This appears to be the problem and what was jamming the engine. I think if I had watched the operation of the valve train more closely I would of noticed this irregularity. I have not been able to remove the tappets yet but will post what I find.

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tea 20 engine jamming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So a sticking valve that the piston was closing for you. I understand.
Perhaps a lack of oil changes in the past.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters