Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
8NChris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a Sherman 54B Power Digger that I am going to repair it with the original pipe design. I will likely go 1/2" wall instead of the original 3/8" wall. The arm has been patched many times. If someone with an original model would post the measurements shown in my photos I would really appreciate it. Center to center of the pins and center of pin to pipe.
Thanks, Chris

mjsnodgrass
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not sure if it's been mentioned, but i'd think about using square tube. that would allow for a better joint design for the center cyl mount. welding around the pipe for cyl mount is asking for trouble. in any event, that looks like a fun job. I would take the boom off, and build a complete new one.

8NChris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-mjsnodgrass wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:04:25 10/18/19) not sure if it's been mentioned, but i'd think about using square tube. that would allow for a better joint design for the center cyl mount. welding around the pipe for cyl mount is asking for trouble. in any event, that looks like a fun job. I would take the boom off, and build a complete new one.
Square tubing is stronger and I believe the next model was square. I am looking for 3 1/2" diameter 1/2" wall about 53" long.

Were all the original Shermans red?

8NChris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know I am not the only one who owns a 54B. I sure would appreciate the measurements.

grizz02
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would redesign that section using 6x8 square 1/2 in wall tubing , just redoing it back to how it was IMHO is a waste of time and money

8NChris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-grizz02 wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:23:13 10/21/19) I would redesign that section using 6x8 square 1/2 in wall tubing , just redoing it back to how it was IMHO is a waste of time and money
To each his own. Do you have any measurements to share?

Jim.ME
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For lack of getting any "original" measurements, it looks to me that the measurements you are getting will be very close and should work just fine.

lastcowboy32
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found some thick tubing to fix my haybine at industrialtube.com

I was able to find 4" OD tubing with 0.25" wall thickness in their "Drawn Over Mandrel" or "DOM" choices.

I just checked, they have many choices with 0.5" wall thickness as well.

For reference, a two foot long piece of 4"OD, 0.25" wall thickness (which means 3.5" ID) tubing was 100 bucks for two feet of it.

8NChris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lastcowboy32 wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:46:39 10/21/19)

I was able to find 4" OD tubing with 0.25" wall thickness in their "Drawn Over Mandrel" or "DOM" choices.

For reference, a two foot long piece of 4"OD, 0.25" wall thickness (which means 3.5" ID) tubing was 100 bucks for two feet of it.
I appreciate the tip. For a 52" piece of 3 1/2" od - 1/2" wall I have a quote of $245 delivered to my home.

I suspect the arm maybe shorter and the pivot too short. The unit worked in it's current dementions but for all the butchering done to my back hoe I am still looking for the OEM measurements.

8NChris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

8NChris wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:44:42 10/22/19)
lastcowboy32 wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:46:39 10/21/19)

I appreciate the tip. For a 52" piece of 3 1/2" od - 1/2" wall I have a quote of $245 delivered to my home.

I suspect the arm maybe shorter and the pivot too short. The unit worked in it's current dementions but for all the butchering done to my back hoe I am still looking for the OEM measurements.
If anyone has an undamaged unit and 5 minutes to spare I would appreciate the measurements.

8NChris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[/quote]If anyone has an undamaged unit and 5 minutes to spare I would appreciate the measurements.[/quote]
Still looking. See first post for measurements needed.
Thanks

8NChris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Post closed. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt and say no one that has seen this post is familiar with this rare early back hoe. Pictured is how I am going to repair it and add an inch to the pivot. Hope this helps the next guy that comes along.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have parts and pieces of a Sherman power hoe as they where call but I do not have that arm.

8NChris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking at getting a 20' stick of pipe 3 1/2" OD 1/2" wall. If your interested in rebuilding yours with the 15' left overs let me know.

8NChris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman Back Hoe Measurements And Material Help Request Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:00:13 11/08/19) I have parts and pieces of a Sherman power hoe as they where call but I do not have that arm.
This is a different model. Only the homemade bucket is different.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters