Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Is this a wives tail?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a wives tail? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was growing up and living on the Gulf Coast, any injury you got in saltwater fishing, wading, or whatever, healed itself. Only problem is that salt has a burning sensation, especially when you swim in salt water getting it in your eyes and I'd have to assume the calves weren't all that happy about getting salt in their eyes. Never had pinkeye, although growing up some kids had it. Don't know what it feels like so I can't say if the salt in their eyes was the lesser of two evils.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a wives tail? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Love the head line, but my better discretion keeps me from making further comments.

4010tim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a wives tail? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Salt is a natural antiseptic, that's why meat was preserved with it, it killed the mold and bacteria leaving the meat suitable to eat. The salt is doing the same thing for the cows by killing the bacteria that is causing the pinkeye. I'm sure it's painful, but has to be better than having pinkeye.

1948CaseVAI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a wives tail? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I opened this thread just to see what a wive's tail looks like...

Old Farmall Fan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a wives tail? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of ways to treat pinkeye. My Grandpappy used to say that you can treat them and they will be better in 3 weeks. Or just leave them alone and they will be over it in 21 days.

I won't touch your wive's tail question.

JerryS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a wives tail? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems to me granular salt could itself do harm by scratching the cornea. Would a salt solution work just as well?

MJMJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a wives tail? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It doesn't cure anything, or kill the bacteria. I think you'll find as many cattlemen that will tell you it does nothing as you will find that says it helps.
I think the general belief is that the salt MIGHT help in that it causes the eye to water, therefor flushing it well. But most will tell you what Old Farmall Fan's gandpappy told him. It'll clear up in 3 weeks with treatment, or 21 days without.

sotxbill
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a wives tail? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dont know, but I tried it on my granddaughter and my wife got all over me. So after all the yelling, next time they will have to just cure it themselves.

Pitalplace
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a wives tail? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For many years my dad poured salt in the bag when we cut calves. It pretty much stopped any infections or problems but you could tell they didn't like it much.

Eldon (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a wives tail? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Robert (ID) wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:33:05 11/06/19) not sure if its scientifically proven but, I've used it that way for years. I saw dad do it and granddad did it too... Now if you really want to wince, when we would castrate hogs, dad had a mixture 3/1 of table salt and sugar that he put on the fresh cuts... that kinda gives a new meaning to salt pork..

My dad used a pop bottle full of diesel fuel on the pigs when we castrated them...used motor oil brushed on ringworm when the calves got it. Guess you used what ya had back then....

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters