Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hydraulic Fill and Capacity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrChadH
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Hydraulic Fill and Capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi all. My Father-in-law passed last spring and I've been trying to maintain his IH 574 for my Mother-in-law. I've replaced a few of the leaking old Hydraulic lines and in the process lost a few quarts of fluid. I'd like to drain and refill the system, but can't locate a dipstick, fill pipe/cap or even the tank.
If anyone can help me with this or has a free resource for diagrams or shop manuals I'd appreciate it.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Fill and Capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you need an owners manual. ASAP.About 40 bucks. Cheap compared to messing something up just because you are unfamiliar and unknowing.

MrChadH
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Fill and Capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-DeltaRed wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:55:49 11/25/19) you need an owners manual. ASAP.About 40 bucks. Cheap compared to messing something up just because you are unfamiliar and unknowing.

Agreed. I'll order one.

used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Fill and Capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chad, Welcome to YT! The hydraulics, transmission and final drives all use the same fluid, so the
bottom of the housing is where your system picks up fluid. There should be a dipstick on the
transmission housing somewhere around the seat or where the operators feet are. There is also a
hydraulic filter that should probably be changed. Sorry don?t know the exact locations because I
have not been around one of those models. I will attach a link to the CaseIH online parts page for
your tractor. This however is not a replacement for the operators manual which I agree with Delta
that it is something you should have.
IH 574 online parts page

MrChadH
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Fill and Capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-used red mn wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:36:22 11/25/19) Chad, Welcome to YT! The hydraulics, transmission and final drives all use the same fluid, so the
bottom of the housing is where your system picks up fluid. There should be a dipstick on the
transmission housing somewhere around the seat or where the operators feet are. There is also a
hydraulic filter that should probably be changed. Sorry don?t know the exact locations because I
have not been around one of those models. I will attach a link to the CaseIH online parts page for
your tractor. This however is not a replacement for the operators manual which I agree with Delta
that it is something you should have.
IH 574 online parts page

I can verify that there is a dipstick by the operators feet on the LH side. Checked it and it's dry as a bone. There's a filter canister nearby as well.
Thanks for the parts link. I'll order a manual asap.
I appreciate the help.

JimB2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Fill and Capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can find the European manuals at link below.
574 Europe Manuals

MrChadH
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Fill and Capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you. This will be a big help. My Father-in-law wasn't able to maintain the old girl very well for the last few years and she needs some TLC.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Fill and Capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been working on one of those this mouth. Fill plug sits behind the seat between the gas tank sides just above the center link hook up

MARK ROBKE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Fill and Capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It should hold 9 1/2 gal-use Hy tran from CIH or Shell spirex(sp). Change the filter, too(behind the footrest on l/s). The fill plug is above the top link, behind the seat-should be a 15/16 square head plug. I would put the whole 10 gal in. There are 2 or 3 drain plugs under the rear end, the rear most one needs the draw bar set to one side to remove the plug-drain all of them. Mark.

leroy in ne
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Fill and Capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not fully familiar with 574 but some of the tractors from Europe have a special procedure to check hydraulic/ transmission fluid. Something about running at a certain
speed for a specified time, shutting off then promptly check dip stick as an upper pan must be filled and that is where the level is checked. Check a manual or find
someone that knows that model well.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Fill and Capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dip stick is on the left side by your heel. The fill plug is just a pipe plug behind the fuel tank above the top link. The filter is on the Multiple Control Valve (MCV) one bolt in the center of what looks like a round canister. There will be some oil come out too. Wash the screen out that is in there. The filter is about 6 inches in Diameter and 2-1/2 inches wide. There is an o-ring of sorts that goes in the groove in the MCV where the filter canister goes against. This is up under the left foot rest or step.

MrChadH
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Fill and Capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All of that checks out with what I've seen on the machine.
I'll be going out to visit on Thanksgiving and will locate the drain and fill ports then.

I'll have to top it off now and do the oil/filter change later. We need to have the tractor running to move snow. I'll probably replace a few more hydraulic hoses and fittings at that time too.

Thanks for all the help folks.

MrChadH
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Fill and Capacity Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-leroy in ne wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:18:24 11/25/19) Not fully familiar with 574 but some of the tractors from Europe have a special procedure to check hydraulic/ transmission fluid. Something about running at a certain
speed for a specified time, shutting off then promptly check dip stick as an upper pan must be filled and that is where the level is checked. Check a manual or find
someone that knows that model well.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into this further before topping it off.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters