Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

No need to tie the tractor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: No need to tie the tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: No need to tie the tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That photo has been floating around the net for six years!

I had a high school shop/driver's ed teacher that also farmed. He would haul his 4020LP tractor back and fourth between his two farms rather than driving it several miles. He used a trailer that was a shop class welding project. The trailer had badly sagging axles with non working lights. Never once did I see him tie that tractor down.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: No need to tie the tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see tractors all the time tied down to prevent them from falling off the back bot nothing to stop them from going forward. Maybe it's time you have to get trailer added to your drivers license. I've taught
my family to watch trucks and trailers on how they are loaded.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: No need to tie the tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That one was tied down with five inch straps instead of 1/4" chains. The strap whipped off so it is out of the picture.

mdross
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: No need to tie the tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm certain most tractors being hauled are left in gear with brakes locked and are chained/strapped down to prevent most forward/backward movement. Of course there will always be those who have no regard for safe anything that can be a long list.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: No need to tie the tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-mdross wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:01:12 12/03/19) I'm certain most tractors being hauled are left in gear with brakes locked and are chained/strapped down to prevent most forward/backward movement. Of course there will always be those who have no regard for safe anything that can be a long list.

mdross, tractors should NEVER be left in gear on a trailer. One regular poster here has had tractors start themselves many times on trailers due to movement when braking. It has never happened to anyone I know but no one here would tell a story would they?

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: No need to tie the tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I personally have never seen a tractor
that could be pull started in 1st gear
or reverse. Parking in high gear is
not real good idea. On trailer or the
ground.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: No need to tie the tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-mmfan55 wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:04:21 12/05/19) I personally have never seen a tractor
that could be pull started in 1st gear
or reverse. Parking in high gear is
not real good idea. On trailer or the
ground.

I never leave mine in gear in the trailer. Never had one start, but my experience came from hauling race cars. Put it in gear and it would chuck enough on the ring and pinion to weaken the teeth and wind up breaking them when you didn't want it to.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters