Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shep1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As the topic states I have found that I have fuel in the oil pan.

Here is what I know. This old girl has a lot of "blow by"..and I mean a lot..there is so much crankcase pressure that oil weeps out from under the valve cover gasket, it has black, wet soot that blows out of a leak in the exhaust manifold connection to the tail pipe..

When I hold my hand over the valve cover hole where I add oil..the blow-by pushes my hand off. So, I know she has some issues with rings I guess.

I have tried Bardal engine stuff that may can "help" with blow-by but still has smoke and blow-by. Now I will say that she gets up to temp, the smoke does diminish, but is still there.

Power? This old girl will throw you out od the saddle in you are not hanging on so..Power You betcha!

Ok, so now this brings me to the title of this thread. Can this engine..(ring?..issue).. cause diesel to go by the rings and into the crankcase?

When I drained the crankcase I collected almost 5 gallons of diluted oil..

Input from Deutz Lover and Majorman on another thread I posted has suggested a possible leak from the Simms pump into the crankcase..

So, I have studied my tractor manual but it doesn't break down the pump into that level of detail as far as what type of seal may be worn and even if I can get a replacement...

Any thoughts and wisdom greatly appreciated!!

Shep

Shep1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is the link to where this discussion got started but kinda got involved with the injector pump hijacking the thread..

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?p=9229892#9229892

You guys on here a great and what a knowledge base for new owners of the great tractors...

Shep

Deutz Lover
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shep1

I forgot this where I finished up the original post. Before you do anything else fill the crankcase with the proper level of oil. It is a lot cheaper to replace than bearings and pistons. After you do this complete the list of other things I suggested.

Also if it had five gallons of oil/diesel this will cause blowby past the rings and can also blow a head gasket.

Shep1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put just a few gallons of "off-road diesel" in the tank a couple of days ago to take advantage of the dye used in it to possibly assist us with finding the pathway of fuel into the crankcase.

I had changed the oil , maybe 3 months ago, to the proper level so the almost 5 gallons of oil/diesel I drained had to have happened after I had a new oil change.

So, I left a drain bucket under the oil pan to watch for any dyed fuel to weep into the crankcase..so after 2 days of sitting there..no sign of any fuel into the bucket...

Ok, this makes me think that whatever leak there may be must be happening while the motor is running.

So, yes, I will buy some inexpensive 30 wt oil and give it a go after performing the other suggestions you have provided.

Will report back in a few days.

Thanks,

Shep

Deutz Lover
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is possible that the black wet coming out of the exhaust is diesel slobber. It happens when diesels idle too long or is a sign of worn rings. Look diesel slobber up. It is a valid term.

Majorman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has your tractor got a pre heater in the manifold with a pipe
going to the fuel tap? If so, put a small on/off tap in this line
and only use it when you use the heater to start on a cold
morning. This was the Fordson answer and was fitted as standard to
all later build tractors. The engine draws the extra diesel into
it through this pipe.

The only place diesel can get into the engine on a Dexta is the
injection pump seal or the heater/cold start pipe. Leak off pipes
are external.

Deutz Lover
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Majorman,

I must have been receiving you thought transmissions last night.

I was thinking that this was the only remaining possible source of diesel fuel getting into the engine. Is it possible that that there is something wrong with this primer button so that engine vacuum can draw unwanted diesel into the intake manifold?

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you checked lift pump for leaking diaphragm?

Deutz Lover
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shep1 reported earlier that he has checked the new lift pump and there are not leaks from the diaphragm.

Shep1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Majorman and yes it does have this feature. So, I will either cap it off or construct a shutoff valve on it.

Any idea how often these pump seal go bad? I have searched and searched but can't find any forum that someone has had this particular issue. I'm hoping the glow plug arrangement will give me some relief.

thanks!

Shep

Majorman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, in models after July 1963 a tap was fitted as standard on the
manifold. I have come up against a similar problem two or three
times but in those cases the engine "hydrauliced" when trying to
start. We fitted a lot of taps after that.

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok. I should have read all. Comments
First has the thermostat been removed from cooling
system as the symptoms do suggest engine is
running too cold also have you cleaned air filter and
Not just cleaned mesh and renewed oil but clean
pre cleaner on top and pipe down middle also
Is the breather pipe on rocker cover clear??

Shep1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you nailed it..When I took the line loose there was such a drip that I had to raise the line up until the drip stopped. So, I feel this is going to be my problem.

I replaced the fuel shutoff valve that contained a new pump when I rebuilt the fuel tank, but apparently the new pump is letting fuel leak by. Jeeez....who woulda thunk! (not me)

So, it is going to be a few days before I can get oil back in give the old girl a go..so I will report back in a few days after I have a really good idea that this is fixed.

So, going to post a couple of pics of my other "beast", that is my main squeeze...

Yep..I'm a Ford man alright! "Glenda (Dexta) when I first brought her home..

Giving the Old girl a face lift..Next spring I hope to finish!

Shep1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes sir..I totally removed the air cleaner assembly, (when I got it home it was a mess)..put it in my blast cabinet, de-greaser bath and cleaned the mesh until I could eat off of it... The new thermostat I purchased looked just like any one I would buy for my '87 hunting truck but when I compared it to the one that was in the housing there was a huge difference. So, I put the "original" in water on the stove and watched it open and actually got a good reading from my spot radiometer (Ir-thermometer) and I think I remember it opening around 165 or was that the inside temp of the chicken I cooked this past weekend.??.can't remember exactly but I did chose to keep the original in it because it looked like no other thermostat I have ever seen..so according to the new temp gauge it tracks really good. Also, put in a new water pump while I was at it..

Thanks for your input!

BTW..yep...purchased most of my parts so far from YT online..can't beat them!!

Air breather when I first got her home..

Shep1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dexta Has Diesel in the Oil Pan!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep the breather is clear..however, I can't say how clear. So, thanks to your input I will be sure to be certain it is breathing as it should...the PO didn't take very good care of this fine tractor..

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters