Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about them

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOCCO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about them Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I live in an area with low deer numbers to start with. Some people do food plots but not to many. Guess what I am wondering is what to plant and how. I have two places I want to do next year, they have little use other than part of timberland I own. I dabbled with a few things years back but very small scale. I am pretty used to planting hay, including liming and fertilizing. Corn, grain and such is not to big close to me. So fire away

tmilllersells
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Too much to write but feel free to call me Terry 715 559 4337 and I can give you a tutorial on FP's

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

About like Terry been doing it for forty + years and know what works where,and when to plant, Send me a e mail with you phone number and I will call you.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try your state conservation site. I know MO has links to food plots.

Moonlite37
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Soybeans, I lost several hundred bushels to deer

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've done food plots on and off for decades now. Before for $$ got so tight here in Missouri the conservation dept would give out seed for food plots. Common seed was Milo and sunflower and Lepadize clover. I've also done winter wheat in the fall and sweet corn in the spring

Briar Hill Brittanys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For me, cereal rye and turnips is the magic. The rye will provide browse throughout the winter, the turnips if planted in late September, eary October will provide food for them through the Christmas timeline. They eat the tops early, the turnips mature later, and provide for them after the frosts. The rye also will keep weeds from coming up the next spring. Rye also provides good early season food in the pre-spring period. HTH.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What state?

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been planting food plots for about 10 years now. There are no farms or crops raised within at least 5 miles of where I hunt except there is one small hayfield about a mile from me.
I have written about this before that here in MN only about 37% of deer tags are filled each year. Since I started plotting we are averaging closer to double that average.
I keep two plots going that total about 1 1/2 acres. That is not enough forage to feed many deer. But it is enough to draw in quite a few deer for some tasty morsels as they go about their daily browse.
For us plots work!
Another thing I enjoy about plotting is it is something to do in May or early June that is hunting related when the opener is still months away.
Oh, and it's fun to plow and disc a bit with an old tractor.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We bought some seed years ago,I think it was from Prairie Restorations, they have multiple locations around MN. Also bought some from Northern Farmers elevator in Williams MN, and the Coop in Blackduck MN. They all sell mixes for the deer in that area. Some are perennial, come back year after year. The neighbors at the cabin have fields of oats, rye, and soybeans, so the deer have lots to eat.

da.bees
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Plant beans or peas and they will come,,,,,,,,and keep coming til they eat them to the ground.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've found a mix of Crimson Clover,turnips,oats works good and is a good draw.The trick is to time what you plant to be available when hunting season is in.A good place for excellent advice is is the Whitetail Institute website their products are pretty expensive but the advice is free.Also Hancock seeds carries good products.I try to target large bucks with my plots which in an area with deer everywhere is sort of hard to do,but small plots in secluded places works for me.

randyrenfro7
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Plant anything you intend to eat or make a profit on, they will come.

JOCCO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am guessing 5 to 10% get deer around me. Yes plenty of old tractors and equipment to do it with.

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Any of you do deer food plots? Can you tell me about the Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have tried the expensive custom mixes but always go back to just plain wheat and clover.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters