Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

gehl 1540 forage blower opinions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim ball
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: gehl 1540 forage blower opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

evaluating gehl 1540 blower for one silo p yr 46 ft just corn silage. twin paddles with baffle over them, does it prevent slugging like on nh 28 which would stress tractor ? paddles are expensive but are they easy to adjust with outlet able to be moved to side ? how does it compare to ih 56 ? i heard that sides can plug with haylage

tomstractorsandtoys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: gehl 1540 forage blower opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The problem with Gehl is parts. They are quickly dropping parts support for all their ag lines. Any good blower will work for corn silage but the later IH and CaseIH blowers were very good. I still use a 56 IH for both hay and corn silage. Tom

jim ball
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: gehl 1540 forage blower opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i used a badger bn542 (shaker) & wanted to upgrade so i bought a ih 56 (125 bucks). started going thru it & noticed some bladder paddles were chipped so replaced them( 45 ea). there are bolts that hold them in bought not very much adjustment room to set clearance. saw a 1540 on craigslist for 400 in nice shape. i like the features of leveling, segmented bands with liners, add water, able to remove outlet for cleanout & set clearance. paddles are expensive (8 x 80). as far as parts i used germanbliss.com (gehl wholesale distributor w/ online parts diagrams) & jr fry in pa (75 acres ag salvage yard). how did you set clearance on ih 56 paddles & have you had any problems with it ? txs

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: gehl 1540 forage blower opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never had a blower. Years ago Gehl was the most popular silage equipment. Now there is none left At time it stated loosing market share only dealer that handled Gehl quit and that was before it seemed like Gehl went out of production. I think you could hunt for weeks now for parts for any Gelh equipment around this part of country and never find any. Anything Gehl is scrap only.

tomstractorsandtoys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: gehl 1540 forage blower opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had the 56 for three years now and have not had to adjust the paddles as it blows both haylage and cornsilage fine. I did make a fitting to add water for blowing haylage. Tom

Alvin 41
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: gehl 1540 forage blower opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are so many left over forage blowers around here that most will only bring scrap price . I've 3 Gehl 99 and a 1540 ,all in working condition,for $50--$150. The 1540 has a planetary gear to run fan at apx 700 rpm from 540 or 1000 rpm shaft and to fill 75' silo with haylage with the 99's we used to run them at that speed with an 60 hp electric motor. Corn silage would work at 540. Out side band wears out and can be reversed with work and will last much longer if a secind layer is welded outside wear point. paddles can be hard surfaced and ground to fit, The feed spinners can wear out bearings and parts are genaric .

jim ball
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: gehl 1540 forage blower opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i agree but yes & no. germanbliss.com is an ill distributor w/ online parts diagrams. the counter people are often too lazy to lookup pn but if you give them they will give you a quote. blower liners are avail now.

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: gehl 1540 forage blower opinions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A properly adjusted and maintained IH 56 will blow haylage and corn silage just fine.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters