Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you mean "solar powered"?

The batteries on both of mine are charged by the ultra violet rays in either the sunshine or welding glare. If I haven't used one for a while, I usually set it out in the sun for a few hours to charge the batteries.

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tried one, didn't really like it - used to nodding my noggin. Welded aluminum every day for 4 years.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few things you want in a good helmet:

A good, heavy duty head gear, one that wont strip out trying to get it tight enough to stay on, and the pivot works well, stays adjusted, doesn't work loose.

The large window is a plus, easier to see out of than the small ones.

Look at the durability of the battery compartment. A fragile cover will soon be broken, the batteries falling out (personal experience).

Availability of replacement parts, especially the lens cover. I'm not familiar with that brand, just something to consider when buying.

Oliver 500 Wa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Goose wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:37:33 12/02/19) How do you mean "solar powered"?

The batteries on both of mine are charged by the ultra violet rays in either the sunshine or welding glare. If I haven't used one for a while, I usually set it out in the sun for a few hours to charge the batteries.

Can not speak for all brands, but the HF one I have (blue flame decals on it) does not charge the batteries when in the sun or exposed to welding light (despite what the guy at the HF store says). When it quit working, I took mine apart and traced the circuitry. The batteries power the sensing circuit. The solar cells power the darkening of the lens. There are two lithium "coin cells" in the sensing circuit. They are non-rechargeable type batteries. When they go bad the helmet won't darken even if you left it in the sun for a week.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a helmet 3 days a week to teach basic welding processes. The link is to the one I chose. It is a tall price, but way incredible to use. Jim
Miller I use to teach welding in.

shaun wallace
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have autodark HF,Do all my welding outside. Have to wait till sun is in rite place or move to where don't get glare behind me . If I was going to do lots I would get a pancake helmet.

Patsdeere
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want a good one Lincoln has a sale going on right now. Just got one for $215 delivered to my door. Loving it.

moresmoke
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a top of the line Miller, it?s really good except it eats batteries. I also have a 20+ year old Jackson that was the first autodark I bought. It?s almost as good as the Miller. Only bought the new one because one of the kids wanted to learn to weld.

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought auto helmet a while ago and just for split second I got flash so I stopped using it

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Because I wear trifocal I went with a large window auto darkening hood. I like it except if I try to grind using it as a face shield, the light from the sparks cause it darken, then I can't see.
You can also adjust how dark you want it.
It also solar charges the battery. I keep it in a drawer, and have never had to change the battery.

Dusty

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While if your only doing welding by your self they maybe ok I'll NEVER own one. I worked at a place where we built boat docks and we would have 4 plus people welding side by side and we got in the auto dark helmets when they first came out. I had more then one time I ended up in the hospital due to having welder burned eyes. The helmet would darken if I was welding but would not if a guy next to me was welding so I got flashes off others welding

tn terry t
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use an Optrel brand with adjustable shades and grind mode best helmet I have ever seen pricey? yes but can be used in grinder mode turn it down for cutting torch and never have to raise the hood to do it either.

C.Amick
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I thought I would have to pay more to get one that I would be pleased with.

John - OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Recommendation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a Miller elite. Hands down an awesome helmet. Not cheap but worth the money.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters