Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

PTO increaser for Tiller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: PTO increaser for Tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know it's winter and months away from tilling ground. Has anyone tried using a pto gearbox to increase the pto revolutions? Everybody wants the howard for tilling because it
slows the tractor but not the pto. Most people ask if they can run a tiller with a sherman combo, Which many N tractor owners have. The sherman in lower range would slow the
tractor BUT also slow the pto. It seem to me that with the sherman if you could add a gear box that increased the pto speed it might work to run a tiller. It could either be a
chain drive like my ferguson gearbox or gear drive. Any opinions on this subject?

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: PTO increaser for Tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like it is worth a try.
A drive box that runs an auger for grain could be used.
They have a chain drive in them with a large and a small sprocket.
I would try to keep the pto speed at near 540 by slowing the engine speed down which would slow the tractor speed down.
You could mount it on the tiller instead of the tractor and just leave it there.
Richard in NW SC

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: PTO increaser for Tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1974 US built motorcycle that has a speed reducer that is simply a box with two sprockets and a chain. I'll bet that there are many out there in a wide variation of ratios and shaft sizes.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: PTO increaser for Tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In most conditions an 8N with Sherman combination in first/UD will still be too fast for tiller work.

Dean

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: PTO increaser for Tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a good idea to mount it on the tiller

Tomatoboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: PTO increaser for Tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mounting it on the tiller seems like a pretty decent idea. Actually, now I?m wondering if there are any tillers that would be particularly easy to modify to be driven at a different shaft speed.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: PTO increaser for Tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Kirk-NJ wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:58:21 12/11/19) That's a good idea to mount it on the tiller

Like all of these discusssions a lot depends on soil conditions and the specific design of the tiller. Do the arithmetic:

The Sherman is a 1.513:1 step down so you need a 1.5:1 step up at the PTO to offset the PTO speed hit. With that step up ratio and using first gear step down you are going to attain 540 RPM at the PTO and 1.2 MPH ground speed at 1000 engine RPM.

That is about as slow as you can go with a 540 RPM tiller. My quess is that is a little too fast and depending on the tiller possibly short on torque for virgin soil but probably fine in broken ground. Certainly better than nothing.

TOH

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO increaser for Tiller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have not tried it. With or without an adapter.
I have a Sherman combo in my 8N, but a plow and disk combined
are still cheaper than a tiller so I haven't had any desire for a tiller.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters