Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Stuck 1950 WD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Stuck 1950 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a 1950 WD tractor back form my boy over the weekend. I had givin it to him 20yrs ago at a cost of $1000. He brought it back finally as he never used it, and has a duel wheel BIG AC of some number. Its stuck tighter than Dicks hat band. I poured out 5 gal of pure water, and maybe 2 thimble fulls of oil. The front plug looked a bit dirty, but the other 3 looked near new. I put PB Blaster liberly in each spark plug hole. The muffler just sets into the hole in the manifold, and im sure that's where the water came in over that period of time. QUESTION. Why didn't the water just run down and on out the carb as the hose to the air clearner wasn't own. SECOND QUESTION. Should I order another piston. When I bought it, the seller said it had been over bored to go 40hp. If that is so, would it be hard to find a correct piston for it?

Jim.ME
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck 1950 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If water was able to just run in the exhaust manifold and out the carb, it wouldn't run anyway. The two openings aren't direct connections, there are things, like valves and pistons, in between that work in a timed sequence when running.

With one exception don't buy anything until you figure out what and how bad the problem is. Diagnose first, next look at options for repair and prices, pick a repair plan; then buy as needed to follow the plan. The exception is buy a service manual, if you do not have one currently, and study it before you do anything other than put your favorite penetrating fluid/concoction in the sparkplug holes, so it is working while you study.

Those are sleeved engines so it may have an over bore kit in it, based on the comment you said the previous owner made. Depending on what you find you might need just a piston, maybe a piston and sleeve, maybe all 4 pistons and sleeves. Maybe the crank has been damaged - find the problem(s) before buying parts.

If it doesn't free with some penetrant in the cylinders and gentle rocking of the engine, I would pull the head and drop the pan to see what it looks like. If basically all you from the pan was water I would lean towards doing a teardown to start with.

The chance is here this could be a costly repair. You may have to decide the value of the tractor to you and how much you want to spend. There is also a chance it might not take much to get it going as well, but fully diagnosing the damage is the only way to tell that. JMHO.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck 1950 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is no connection between the exhaust exit and the carburetor below it, think about it, if there was the engine would not run. Any water that enters through the exhaust finds its way to the cylinder(s) with open valves. My advise is to quit wishing for a miracle cure and pull the head. Takes an hour to do it and will cost you a $40 gasket. Never in my life have I been sorry I took down a stuck tractor engine that didn't break free with gentile nudging. I also have never experianced a loosening from dumping all manner of miracle oils in the cylinders. It is hard to say what was done to tbe tractor previously. Could be an M W kit, could have been converted to WD 45 crank, pull it down,,,,

Butch(OH)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck 1950 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry Jim you posted whike I wus typen.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck 1950 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless the cylinders are free of water any thing you pour into it will do no good what so ever since it will never get to the problem area since oil floats on water. So if you did not check that first all you have done was wasted your time and$$.

Jim.ME
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck 1950 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Butch(oh) wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:48:58 01/02/20) Sorry Jim you posted whike I wus typen.

Nothing to be sorry for Butch. Glad to see I'm not alone in thoughts on this type scenario. I've seen very few miracle cures, especially if I own it.

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck 1950 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With 5 gallons of water, the crank and all rods were submerged in water. They, rods, bottom of the sleeves, crankshaft all have rust formed on them. More than likely you have one sleeve that is split and allowed the water into the pan. I purchased a fencerow tractor with a similar (5 gal water) condition. everything was rusted and pitted, the only thing salvageable was the block. Hope you have a better outcome than me. One bit of advice if you end up tearing it down, split the tractor take the head off push the sleeves out with the pistons intact, split the sleeves with a die grinder and cold chisel you may be able to reuse the pistons. If you drive them out with a wood block and big hammer you will ruin the piston btdt. gobble

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck 1950 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what you are describeing.NO amount of oil,etc. is gonna free that up. A complete dismantle and inspection is in order. you may find that everything is rusted beyond repair. Therefore,a complete replacement engine will be required. Good luck. you're going to need it.A friend is going through the same thing with an H farmall. Sat open for 20 plus years. It is nothing nore than a boat anchor because of all the rust.

4wdtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck 1950 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the engine had that much water the transmission will too unless the shift lever boot is in GOOD condition, not carcks or missing.

Walt in Jaxn Tn.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck 1950 WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I go to YOU TUBE (can I say that here?) For all my problems. A guy there was tearing down a 1951 WD. He didn't mince words when he complained about Allis Chalmers design of the 4 piece oil pan gasket. He said that he'd bought the tractor cheap but, cheap can be to much when you figure in the cost of parts, material, and labor, especially if you hire any labor out!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters